17. Chapter: Clear Minded

It was late the sun had set hours ago, and you were now lying once again tightly wrapped in your Lady's embrace.

You couldn't sleep. Her earlier outburst frightened you and made you feel afraid, yet she dismissed it as if it were nothing. Her hands firmly gripping your sides felt like a trap you stupidly managed to get yourself caught in.

How were you ever supposed to feel safe in your Lady's presence knowing you could end up dead after saying one wrong thing?
You were hers, and the thought of that was now terrifying.

___

It appeared you managed to doze off as you were half shown off the bed, the room was pitch dark, and you almost tripped. As your vision adjusted to the darkness, Lady Dimitrescu glared at you before turning around in bed and showing you her back.

Were you supposed to leave?

"My Lady..?" you called out in a small voice, only met with suffocating silence.

Taking her ignorance as your answer, you quickly started putting on your clothes scattered all over the floor, still very confused. A part of you hoped the Countess would turn around and invite you back to bed, but the other part wanted to get out of the room as soon as possible. After hesitating, not knowing what to do, you finally quietly made your way to the door and opened it. Looking back, your Lady was sleeping peacefully, her sleep unaffected by your absence, and that hurt you a bit more than it should.

Slowly closing the door behind you, you let out a shaky breath. Tears were forming in the corners of your eyes, and you wiped them away with your sleeve. Afterward, you took one step and then another, and soon you were running away, your steps loudly echoing in the hallway while you prayed none of the daughters would find you.

A grandfather clock struck five in the morning somewhere in the castle, yet you kept running. If caught by the old maid, you could be in serious trouble, so you took a different turn. Slowing down, you came to a halt, completely out of breath. The damn clock kept echoing in the castle that was now full of quiet, distant steps of other servants who were scurrying to their assigned places of work.

And then it dawned on you. Your Lady woke you up for work. Why did you feel disappointed? You should have known better than to expect things to be different now. After all, you were still her employee, or well one with benefits, you supposed. Yet you wanted more; you longed for the Countess to see you as an equal and for your love for her not to feel like a part of your job. And for that, you couldn't help but feel a growing resentment towards her. It was strong enough to keep the mistrust towards her intentions alive and well in the back of your brain.

___

Somehow you convinced one of the maids to switch her morning duties with you, and you were now sweeping dust in some long-forgotten room. It was located in one of the colder places in the castle, meaning none of the daughters could reach you. You were temporarily safe as long as the bitch in the white dress doesn't get upset over your absence when they serve breakfast.

The fresh cold air fully woke you up from your pity party, and the task gave you time to think. Your mind finally accepted the fact that diving head first into whatever you and Lady Dimitrescu have was, in fact, a terrible idea. You had been careless, and she was distant. She would have killed you if it wasn't for your blood; you were sure of it. If you knew what made your blood special, what intrigued her enough to keep you so close yet so far, you would understand her intentions with you. At night you will take a closer look at what Dimitrescu Library has to offer...

___________

Hi hello strangers I am aware it's been more than a year 💀. To be honest, I'm a little surprised with how many of you still read this mess!