20. Pain

There was a blinding pain in the back of my head and the whole of my body ached. My eyes seemed frozen and I could feel dried tears on my cheeks. I couldn't remember what had happened, my last memory was of Vic tucking me into bed and cuddling next to me. Everything seemed fuzzy. Nothing made sense. I gasped when I tried to move my arms- they were burning with pain.

When I had finally managed to open my eyes, I wanted to close them again. The surroundings around me were so familiar; Painfully familiar.  Bright lights, cages, metal platforms, gurneys. All of it sent memories through my mind. Pain and fear. That's all this place brought back to me. Everything bad that had ever happened to me was at the forefront of my mind. I hated it.

From where I was, laying on the floor of a cage, I could see almost the entire room. White walls and shiny silver instruments. When I glanced down I knew why I was in so much pain. Bruises covered the entirety of my visible body- my arms, legs, and stomach. My hands shook as I brought them to my face and hesitantly felt my cheeks. From the pain I knew they were also bruised,

Where was Vic?

Now that Gerard had gotten me back, was Vic safe? I didn't know.

The thought of my boyfriend being hurt scared me more than the lab itself. There was no way I would be able to deal with the thought of Vic being in danger because of me. He was too precious.

My head turned when I heard footsteps nearing me, hard shoes deliberately hitting the ground so that the sound bounced around the metal room. I recognized the sound. It was same sound that had me shaking so many times before, and again now.

"How are you, Kellin?" Gerard asked, a smirk on his pale face as he stared down at me. The red of his hair stood out in the colorless room and I couldn't help but think of blood.

"W-why?" I asked, my voice was hoarse.

"Because, Kellin. You weren't supposed to leave. You're my creation, my property and anybody who thought they could take you away is stupid."

"I'm no ones! I am a human-"

"Human?" Gerard laughed as he threw his head back. "You're not a human, Kellin. You're a freak. A hybrid. You don't have a place in this world, only in this lab will you be treated how you deserved- like an animal." His smirk cam back and he crouched in front of the low cage so he could peer in. "Tests begin tomorrow, remember, no screaming." Then he stood and walked away, leaving me alone.

When the heavy door closed with a heavy thud and light click, I began to cry. I couldn't go back to the testing. I couldn't handle it again.

I wrapped my bruised arms around my knees curled into a ball on the ground, my mind went back to the memories of Vic. How when he first found me he didn't treat me like a freak, but like an equal. He'd promised I'd never get hurt again, that Gerard wouldn't take me away. If only he could've kept them.

***

I screamed as more pressure was added to my left arm. Large metal clamps were crushing my bones together, the pain made my eyes waver into darkness. "Add more." Gerard's cold voice ordered the scientist who controlled the machine. "I told you not to scream, Kellin."

I bit my lip as the weight became too much and the bone in my arm shattered. Tears streamed down my cheeks as sobs wracked my body. I felt like death, my life was back to how it was. Pain filled.

"Good news," Gerard said as he looked down at the clipboard in his hands. "your bones are almost twenty-seven percent stronger than they were last time. We'll do your right arm next week."

A/N

I'm evil.

Kellin's chapters will now be shorter so not to give too much away.

VCF