3. Happy

3. Happy

I stared at Kellin with mixed emotions.

Punishment? He was punished? Sadness washed over me and I gently asked, "Kellin, where are you from? Why would you get punished?"

Tony shot me a look that screamed 'shut the fuck up' but I ignored him and stared at Kellin. "The lab. Sc-scary lab." His ears flattened to his head while he spoke. "Punished f-for escape. Not supposed to try. Punished for screaming. Not supposed to make sound. P-punished for not obeying." He whispered as he wrapped his tail around his wrist and a tear fell down his cheek.

I glanced at Tony to see him clenching his jaw, I knew anything like this would affect him. He had a gentle soul and never liked anyone getting hurt. Putting a hand on his shoulder I asked him if he was okay. He simply shook his head and walked into the living room. "Tony mad?" Kellin's adorable voice questioned. "No, Kell, Tony is just sad. He doesn't like it when people are hurt." He tilted his head to the side, making some of his hair fall across his face. "But Kellin used to it." My heart broke and I put my hand behind his ear and rubbed his head. A purr erupted from him causing me to giggle. "C'mon. Lets get you some different clothes."

•••

I walked into the living room after getting Kellin changed and put to bed. The collar in my hand as I sat beside Tony, "Here's the collar. He's a hybrid." Taking the tag in hand he read the small lettering and glanced at me, "What are you going to do?"

"I don't know man, this is all happening so fast. I'm not going to send him back or whatever, but what if 'the Master' is looking for him? You've gotta help me."

Tony nodded and rubbed his temples. "I have no idea what to do either. I guess we should call the guys tomorrow. We'll have to tell them sooner or later, besides, maybe they can help."

I groaned but agreed. "What do you think actually happened to Kellin?" I sighed, "I know he was tested on and punished but, how long has he been there? I mean, he can barely talk and seems to have little knowledge of what's going on? It's like he still has the mentality of a child."

"Or a cat." Tony mumbled, I shot him a glance and nodded, "You're probably right. He's got a freaking cat tail and ears. Something else has got to be up with him." I thought back to him purring and knew I was right. "Tomorrow we should see how much of a cat he is." I told my friend and he grinned over at me and laughed. "Vic, he's not some kitten that you can just play with, you know?" Tony questioned but I just smirked, "He sort of is. When I first found him, he was full on cat." He gaped at me while I just stood up and went to grab some extra blankets.

"You staying over?" I asked and Tony nodded while yawning. "Yeah, where you sleeping?"

I scratched the back of my neck then told him, "I'll just sleep on the sofa in my room. I don't want Kellin getting freaked out when he wakes up as finds me laying next to him."

"Like anyone would be scared of you!" Tony laughed, "You're like three feet tall!"

I huffed and crossed my arms indignantly. "Excuse me, I am not that short you asshole." Tony continued to laugh so I raised my middle finger and stormed into my room closed the door as gently as I could behind me.

Kellin's chest moved steadily as he slept, ears twitching every now and then. His body was curled into a tight ball- very cat like - and small purrs could be heard in the back of his throat. His tail was hidden in the tangled blankets and I watched him shift slightly. Tip-toeing past him I made sure to not disturb his sleep and made my way to the small, ratty couch that rested in the corner of my cluttered room. Using my arm as a pillow I laid to where I was facing the hybrid boy.

Even in the dark I could see the dark bruises that lay over his pale skin. Frowning, I closed my eyes and made a silent vow that I would help him. No matter the danger or consequences I wouldn't let anyone hurt Kellin. No matter what.

The next morning I was the first one up and decided to make a quick breakfast. Stretching, I quietly made my way into the kitchen and took out things for a simple meal and began cooking. Tony was quick to find me in the kitchen and grinned as he sat at the table.

"Morning Vic!" He said and stared at the food as if that would magically make it be done faster. "Good morning Turtle."

"Vic? T-tony?" A hesitant voice asked from the doorway. We both glanced up at Kellin to see him rubbing his eyes. I saw his cat ears drooping slightly, nearly hidden in his black hair. "Good morning Kellin, come sit." Tony said and smiled as the hybrid boy shuffled into the seat beside him. "How'd you sleep?" I asked and finished putting the food onto the different plates.

"F-fine." Kellin answered shortly, his eyes cast down. Tony put a tattooed hand on Kellin's arm and I nearly squealed when I noticed he didn't flinch. "You okay?" My friend asked him and I set their the plates in front of them and mine in the seat to the right of Kellin.

Tony nodded a thanks at me and dug into the pancakes and bacon I'd made. I was about to take a bite when I noticed Kellin just staring at his food. I swept some of his messy hair from his face and looked at him questioningly, "Are you gonna eat, Kell?"

His head snapped up and I stared into his astonished eyes, "Can I?" I nodded once and watched as he immediately began eating. I thought back to how visible his ribs were and wondered how often he'd been allowed to eat.

Tony's eyes were sad as we continued to eat in silence. Once we were all done I noticed that Kellin only ate half the amount I'd put on his plate and smiled at him sadly. "C'mon Kellin, lets go into the living room." I said and he nodded and scurried out of the kitchen. Putting a hand on Tony's shoulder, we followed.

Once we got into my small living room I couldn't help but giggle. Kellin was curled up on the couch with his tale wrapped around him. Purrs could be heard and I noticed he laid right in the patch of sunlight that shone from in between the curtains. "Awe!" Tony cooed from beside me.

I sat beside Kellin and his bluish green eyes stared up at me. He looked absolutely adorable in one of my baggy t-shirts and a pair of sweat pants. Petting behind his ear his purrs increased and Tony laughed. "Kellin happy." The hybrid mumbled and closed his eyes.

///___\\\___///___\\\___///___\\\___///___

Short but sweet! Listening to Hold on Till May <3 Lovely!