Chapter 18

I had never, ever felt my heart sink as it did right then.

Not when I watched my parents get killed, not when I was stripped from my innocence and dignity. Not when I had to lay in the burnt down village, under the open sky; for days, waiting and praying for the moment I drew my last breath.

Thing is, before that cruel time of my childhood, I had never experienced anything. I hadn't even thought of what would come when I stepped out of my bedroom. I had thought I was invincible. I had thought that nothing could happen to me, I would always live happily and rule a Kingdom with pride.

And once that childish thought had been proven wrong, I had become... not invincible, but invisible.

I had become an empty, hollow shell of a person. My mind had been poisoned, my body turned cold. Then, I thought that nothing could change what had happened. I wouldn't ever recover, I wouldn't ever see the sky as bright as I once had. No one could ever love me, and no one could ever make this broken and shattered heart care for someone.

I had hoped, from minute to another, from second to another, that someone would just waste me. Crush me. Kill me.

sweet, so caring.

So much I had thought that.

I would stare into a deep, freezing river. I would sink my toes into it, and taste the freeing feeling of not being anymore. I would look down to the village from the top of a roof, I would bite my teeth together, inch myself closer to the edge. I would twist a shiny blade in my hand, and fantasize how it would make my blood gush across my wrists.

Too much of a coward I was, still standing here.

But that felt like an eternity ago. A few weeks back, it had all changed.

I had finally started to feel, I had started to appreciate the small things the world threw at me. I had smiled, laughed. I had experienced the very thing I never thought I would. I had found love, found my partner and future mate. He was so kind and sweet.

His maroon eyes, gentle and soft. His hair, the faint smell of flowers and nature. I had found him.

And even when we had our disagreements, rough paths, and what not. He had dug me from the depth of pure darkness and misery.

And what made it more painful than watching the very thing that had saved you, being torn away. It was a joke at this point. The one tiny moment I had thought that everything was going to be okay; it just... disappeared.

I couldn't be taken back to the emptiness and sorrow. I couldn't live, I couldn't breathe anymore if it would happen.

It would be too much— it would rend me so much that even my soul couldn't rest in peace. I would always, for an eternity, wander; screaming and crying from the pain that split my head in two.

It can't... I-It can't happen again. Please, d-don't let it happen again....

"Lynx!"

My scream cut through the air, a blood-chilling scream. It was one of those that made your skin crawl, one that made you want to claw your eyes out to not ever feel the same. One that you just knew, that whoever was the source of it, was so deeply frightened and terrified for their life.

One that told you to run. And never turn back.

"L-Lynx!"

The tiny shopping bag we had bought for our findings dropped to the ground, spilled with bright red droplets of blood. It happened so fast that I couldn't even fully comprehend what was going on, yet it felt like dozens of years as I watched the handsome, pale face turn conflicted, then pained. I think he didn't even realize what had happened, at least any more than I did.