Chapter 37

Where the fuck was the pen?

I groaned out loud, smashing the table in front of me with a force that made me cringe afterwards. Maybe I wasn't that annoyed.

But either way— I couldn't find that pen!

I swear to God it was right here a second ago. I saw it, and I even had it in my hands. My eyes stared at the messy table with a glare that at the very least threatened the wooden object's life; I was perhaps even a blink away from stabbing it.... with a fork?

I don't know, I didn't have anything else sharp with me right now but the cutleries I had used to eat my dinner. The dozens of books laid out in front of me wouldn't cut the chase. So with yet another sigh, I sulked into the chair.

It had been a few days since the camping trip, and Lynx had begun to slowly return to his regular schedule. He was out much more than before, and I had to be more independent and actually figure out some activities for myself.

Alone.

It sucked, yeah. But I understood, he had a lot of things to do. He was the leader of these people after all, and he couldn't be on a vacation forever. So here I was, sitting in the castle's huge library, yelling at a missing pen.

I had spent the last ten hours going through the books, trying to find something interesting. There were a few that I found that I also had back in my kingdom, but many of them were something I had never seen. One of the books I had managed to read, and it had been about a really exciting romance between two coworkers in some kind of cafe.

It had been so good, I was such a sucker for romance. Though it had ended badly, and I had found myself weeping because of it. I mean, what kind of dick kills one of the protagonists?

It always hurted so much, and it always made me depressed for days.

So here I was, depressed. And really fucking bored.

"Stupid pen..."

I muttered, smacking the books around me with violence.

Would it be too much to say I would burn down the whole place if it wouldn't start showing its face? I wasn't a natural arsonist, but I could make it happen now.

"You're looking for this?"

A quiet set of footsteps interrupted my annoyed fumbling, and drew my attention toward the entrance of the library. It was much further away than the voice I heard, so the speaker must've gotten through to me unnoticed. Thanks to my pretty useless cranking, most likely.

In front of me I had a fidgety Ezekiel, the ink pen I had been searching for in his hands. The omega had a bit of a troubled look on him, and I doubt I had ever seen him so nervous. It had been a while since we last talked, and to my recollection, it hadn't ended on good terms.

I think I had told him and his mate to get the fuck out of here (through Lynx)– which I had started regretting recently. I hadn't meant to lash out at him like that, but the way he had brought things up and demanded my return... it hadn't been okay.

Of course I understood his standpoint, and I understood that I had to do something about the situation. But my best friend, after not seeing in months, maybe even a year; I felt neglected by him.

He came back to see me and the first thing he did was attack my mate and try to make me flee from my new home. Again, I understood his prejudice toward Lynx and all the people here, I had been exactly the same myself. But I really, really had just hoped to spend time with him in peace, and catch up with everything that had happened.