Chapter 31

⬆  Will  ⬆

"Celian, you need to come home."

The words rang in my head on repeat, confusion and maybe even the tiniest of bit hurt visible on my furrowed features.

Home? Why did I have to go back there; I didn't necessarily want to. All I've known that place to be was a living fucking hell. Everyone hated me, and treated me like garbage or a piece of gum stuck in the bottom of their dirty shoes. All I remember were the hundreds of nights of pure misery, crying in my bed or on top of the mansion's roof— the desire to end my pathetic life rotting my mind and body.

I had felt ill, and I had been relentlessly bullied. And Ezekiel knew that; he out of all the people should know that.

I did not want to go back, to whatever he considered home to be.

"W-What?"

I scoffed at him, suddenly all of the iron barriers smashing into the ground and making me tense up. Just like that, I didn't feel safe.

Ezekiel's tears grew and grew, quietly falling to the blanket he squeezed in his hands. He looked like he regretted everything he said, but as if he didn't have any other option, he repeated, "Celian, you need to come back."

The werewolf cried, clearly upset.

Though I didn't understand, not a single bit of it. For once more, my voice crackled, "W-Why?"

I asked, even the sun outside slowly creeping behind dark clouds. You could feel how the air shifted; the lights on the nightstand wavering like someone would've carefully blown at them. My hands held my arms, goosebumps tingling all over my cold skin. "I'm sorry, Celian. I wish you could stay, I do. But your people—"

Ezekiel started, but something in the choice of his words just... infuriated me.

My people? My fucking people? Since day one, they made sure that no one would mistake calling themselves my people. I didn't understand how he could even talk to me like that, my best friend, "They mean nothing to me."

I interrupted with an angry hiss, suddenly all the confusion and fear packing into this tiny ball of rage. Every time I got beaten, every time I got kicked to the ground— I could feel it, "Do you even hear yourself right now? They don't give a fuck about me!"

I didn't know how I had the courage to leash out like that, but I was quite sick and tired of being mistreated. I had let people do that to me for my whole life, and finally, I had had enough.

The werewolf's face turned as pale as polished marble, blood rushing down his body. "So why should I, for the thousandth time, ignore my own well-being and come back into that horrendous town? They hate me, despise me, and you know that!"

My raspy voice yelled at him; all of my suppressed feelings and thoughts let on loose like a hungry beast. When I first came here today, knocking on that wooden door, I had dozens of questions in my head. Foremost about Ezekiel and his situation, but secondly about what was going on back in my Kingdom.

I mean, if it even were my Kingdom.

But, I think that all of that time, I've been quietly bathing with the idea of ever returning. Lynx once said that I could whenever I wanted, but I don't think I ever did.

This was my new home.

"Celian, please just listen—"

The dark-featured omega pleaded, though without prevailing. I ground my teeth together, hot tears burning my eyes, "No, not this time."