I

10

During the drive to his house, the flashbacks of their slaughtered bodies keep replaying inside my head. Who in the world would do such a thing as that? Especially my own parents. Of course, Kaiden didn't want to take me in since he's too stressed out. He recently got laid off from his job, making him a bit more violent than usual.

"Katsura! You finally arrived!" I heard my cousin call out to me. As I stepped out of the vehicle, I saw another boy I never saw in my life. "It's good to see you, Tetsuro." I say before hugging him. "This is Kozume Kenma, my best friend." Kuroo introduced but it seemed like the boy was more interested in his video game.

Kuroo saw the boy wasn't paying attention before taking his game away. "She's here dude." Kuroo said before stepping to the side. "I'm sorry. I'm Kozume Kenma; now my game?" He asked Kuroo, reaching out his hand.

"No dude, you and Katsura need to know each other a bit more. I can't be hanging out with my cousin and best friend when they both don't know each other well." So his name is Kozume Kenma... What a nice name.

As we walked in, aunt saw me and gave me the sweetest hug. "Welcome dear! I'm so happy to see you again; better yet, you'll be staying here." I turned to Kuroo who had a big smile on his face. He was just a year older than me but he still treated me like his sister.

"You can go play with Kuroo and his friend. I'll put your stuff away for you." I nodded my head before Kuroo grabbed my hand and pulled me outside. "Let's play some volleyball! I learned a new trick too." He says before grabbing Kenma and pulling us to a nearby park.

There was a net already set up with a ball waiting to be spiked. "So what did you want to do again?" I asked. "I wanted to practice volleyball. Don't worry, I got Kenma to be on our team when we're in high school." He said, placing his hand on Kenma's shoulder.

"You wanna play the middle blocker Katsura? I'll be the wing spiker and Kenma will be the setter." He explained. I nodded my head before going to the other side of the net. Kuroo served the ball over the net before I received it over the net again.

Kuroo received the ball, making Kenma set the ball into the air. As I jumped to block the ball, he was still on the ground before he spiked the ball. "H-how is that possible?!" I asked. "A new attack I saw. It's called " A Personal Time Difference Attack". It's a trick for the blockers to be confused. You pretend you're going to jump for a second then you jump and attack!" Kuroo explained.

"Kuroo, you need to stop getting tricks from the matches on tv." "Why say that?" What are they talking about? "We gotta practice starting now if we wanna be the best. In high school, we're gonna be one of the best teams out there; then, we can make it into nationals!" Kuroo said.

— — —

16

It's the first day of high school and I'm already nervous. Nekoma High? Really? "Hey, you okay Sonia?" Kenma asked me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Yeah, just a bit nervous." I said before Kuroo saw me. "Are you sure you're okay? Looks like you're about to--" "Yeah I'm fine!"

"Oh by the way, we need a manager on our team and we were wondering if you can volunteer-" "There is no way I'm going to volunteer. You know that's a pain to go through; even you guys will be giving me a headache after a long day or hell." I planned out said.

Kenma stayed quiet but was a bit shocked about my answer. Kuroo looked at him before turning to me. "It would be nice to have you in the team. You can think about it." Kuroo looked at him with his eyes open as Kenma shrugged it off.

The school was big but what got me most was the stares I received. At the end of the day, I'm not alone. Kenma was the same age as me and we gotten quite close these past 6 years.

— — —

I was watching the boys practice before they were cleaning the gym. I then saw some guy with a brush looking head and Kenma talking. That was until the brush head guy grabbed him.

"Hey! Put him down!" I yelled before Kenma and the guy started arguing. They looked at me before another guy was about to throw water but Kenma and the brush head guy continued to fight. I walked and pushed them away before we all felt water on us.

"Please, take it easy, Dr. Freeze says" He chuckled at the end. "Katsura, Kenma, what happened and why are you guys dripping wet?" Kuroo said coming back from talking to the coach.

"Because you're stupid ass friend decide it was best to say I have the biggest ego. Yo, you for real need to talk to him like, who the fuck does he think he is?" "Yamamoto, he was trying to make some friends." Kuroo said, calming the man down.

"But honestly, you never told me you got a manager for us." Yamamoto said, placing a towel around my neck. "I'm not anyone's manager." I said with a stern voice. I took off the towel and threw it at Kuroo who looked pissed.

As I walked outside and sat down on a rock, I heard someone. I looked to see Kenma coming my way. "I didn't even ask you if you were alright." He said. "Oh I'm fine. Just, I never met that guy and he's already flirting with me?"

"Yeah, he could have the biggest ego and he says it's 'guts'" I couldn't help it but laugh a bit. "Well, I think you need to work on a bit of your muscles too; in a good way if you wanna keep playing volleyball."

"I mean, the second and third years think they can boss us first years around just because they were born a year or two before us. They're just a bunch of asses." He explained.

"Kenma! Katsura! Are you out here?" Kuroo's voice was heard from the gym doors. "Katsura, I wanna apologize on behalf of Yamamoto's behavior. He didn't know and assumed I got a manager."

"No it's fine." I said before looking away. "I think it was how Yamamoto was flirting with her." "He was?! I think I'm going to have a word with him when everyone is going home."

— — —

After that chaos, Kuroo sent me and Kenma home but the walk was quiet. A lot was going through my head about what happened at the gym. That's when I felt someone pulling me back. "You should watch where you're going." Kenma said. He was holding my hand!

He looked down but didn't let go. I invited him to our place but he declined and went through the door. "Make sure you text me when you have time. If you want, you can talk to me about anything that's bothering you." He said before closing the door.

"Welcome back home Katsura! Where's Tetsuro?" Auntie asked before grabbing my bag. "He sent me and Kenma home while he was talking to a teammate. An incident happened on the court with Kenma and Yamamoto. That's why." I explained.

"I'm glad to see you're okay. Tell me when he is home. For now, why don't you get dressed into some comfortable clothing?" I nodded before heading to my bedroom.

Word Count: 1298