Chapter Twenty-Two - A Rocky Start

After Keith's little outburst, everyone had followed his instructions, hoping that their new leader was simply just stressed and would have a more level head later on. So, with slight unwillingness, they all made their way back to their lions and flew out, catching up with him as best they could while you and Coran remained in the castle.

"Lotor's cruiser is on the other side of the planet. At our current rate of speed, we'll be within attack range in an hour,", Pidge informed, having been the first to speak among the group in the short time they had been flying. Her analysis was heard by them all, but only one responded.

"Good. Keep formation,", Keith replied, remaining short and snappy with his answers. In all reality, he would've said much more, but he had a fair bit on his mind at the moment. His thoughts were muddled between the discovery of Zarkon having a son who poses a threat to them and your imminent due date.

The lions continued their pursuit of the Galran's ship, now going around the planet. All was quiet, everyone choosing silence over an awkward or tight conversation, though the clash of the blue loin and the yellow lion disrupted that peace.

"Oh, apologies, Hunk!", she said, flustered. With all the controls being foreign to her, she was having a hard time getting to grips so quickly. Hunk, highly unamused and slightly shaken after the collision, decided to voice his concerns.

"Mm, is attacking right now such a good idea? You know, since not everyone is so great with their lions?", Hunk questioned.

"Do you mean me, specifically?", Allura piped up, finding offence in Hunk's comment.

"You? No. No way, I didn't--", he started, growing more nervous to the point he could practically feel Allura's glare on his back. "I'm just simply pointing out that more than half of the team are in new lions. Maybe now's not a great time to bite off more than we can chew,"

"You can blame our hot-headed leader for that one,", Lance remarked snarkily.

"First, you want me to lead, then you complain about how I do it,", Keith grumbles, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath to keep himself from getting angry. "Prince Lotor is the heir to the Galra throne. We could end his reign right now,", Lance slipped back in the red lion, keeping at pace with Allura and Hunk, not wanting to continue his conversation with Keith.

"Allura, you doing okay in blue?", he asked, feeling troubled for both the pilot and the lion she was flying.

"I'm fine. I've been flying the castle for half of my life,", she retorted, though her posture said otherwise. While everyone else was sitting normally, shoulders relaxed and head back, Allura sat with hunched shoulders, her head seeming to be lodged between them as she gripped the controls in her hands. "I just need a few ticks to adjust to the lion,"

"Good...", Keith started, looking at the chart in front of his face. "Because we're going in,", he left no room for argument as he flew forward, though there were many things the paladins would've loved to say in protest to his outrageous idea. For now, however, they gave him the benefit of the doubt and followed, wanting to believe that he knew what he was doing, as bizarre as it was.

---

"The lions will be on us in one Varga,", Acxa informed, turning to face Lotor, who stared at the image of the beasts being displayed in front of him. "What are your orders?", Zethrid's ears perked up at this, and she, too, turned around to face her leader, having a suggestion in mind.

"I say we turn around and start shooting,", she clenched her hand into a fist.

"We just learned all five lions are operational,", Lotor spoke, hands clasped together as he leaned forward in his chair. "There's still much we don't know,", he rose from his seat, standing tall above all of his generals. "Keep the cruiser on this heading until my return. Ready my fighter. I'm going to attack the lions myself,", he began walking out of the room.