Chapter Thirty-Four - Family

"We're going to miss you here, sir,", Shiro told Sam. Everyone had gathered in the pod bay to see the male off, even if they didn't know him massively well. You, too, had brought Isiah along, knowing how quickly your baby had grown used to his presence, and all of his little actions to make your son smile.

"Ah, you guys seem to be fine without me,", he brushed it off. "Your mission is here, mine is on Earth. As soon as I get back, I'll inform the Galaxy Garrison what's going on and start working to upgrade our planetary defences,", his resolute was set as he adjusted his bag slightly on his shoulder, looking out at the group of people who he had only recently met, along with his two wonderful children. With one hand on Isiah's back, you longed to comfort Pidge, noticing her frown.

"Tell Iverson, the next time I see him, I'm going to kick his butt for strapping me to that table,", Shiro joked, forming a fist with his actual hand and smirking. The mood lightened, and Pidge's shoulders lifted slightly as she grinned at the older male. Matt smiled, and Sam chuckled heartily, finally allowing his serious facade to fall as he smiled.

"I'll be sure to tell him that,"

"Hey, I had everyone record some messages for our families,", Hunk stepped forward, holding a small object in his hands. "Uh, a little heads up, I got teary in mine, so...", he shuffles awkwardly then holds the item out to the older male with a weak smile. "That's mom's eyes only,"

"Of course,", Sam grins, happily taking the object from his hands. Taking a step back, Hunk peered over your shoulder and gestured to Lance and Shiro.

"You don't wanna see Lance's, either, since it's probably just a love message to Jenny Shaybon or the other Jenny,", he made kissy faces, then rubbed his chin as Lance scowled. "What was her name again?", giggling, you readjusted Isiah and hummed mindlessly at the two boys.

"Shut up, Hunk!", Lance huffed, folding his arms and turning his back on the male, whose excitement quickly diffused upon seeing his friend's reaction. Brows knitted together, you reached a hesitant hand in his direction and squeezed his arm as Hunk fumbled.

"Okay, I was just joking around. Jeez,", but he received no reply. "Hey, are you okay, dude?"

The Cuban craned his neck slightly, giving a downturned glance to his friend, and your hand, his fingers sliding from its position tucked between his arm and his side and squeezing yours before he replied.

"I'm fine. It's just...", his voice faltered slightly. "Once I started thinking about going back to Earth, I... I started missing my mom, and my brother Marco, and my brother Luis and my sister Veronica, and my grandma and...", his eyes welled with tears, but he quickly wiped them away with his sleeve, taking a sharp inhale as his voice broke and he sniffled.

"Uh, are you crying?", Hunk asked, unsure what to do. Sighing, you handed Isiah to him and wrapped your arms around your friend.

"I didn't cry," he said, sniffling again and pulling away from you quickly. "I just got some space dust in my eyes," he continued, shoulders slumping as tears streamed down his face. "It's very dusty in here," he added. You gave him a sympathetic look and patted his shoulder, allowing him a moment to collect himself. Meanwhile, Sam sighed and turned his head to gaze at his two amazing children who lived with him in space.

"I guess this is it,", he muttered, hand clutching his bag.

"Oh, I wish I could go with you," Matt whined, looking up with his big, brown eyes. "I'd love to help build Earth's first galactic defence system." You held back a snort, knowing that the Holt family had a deep passion for technology and science rooted in their childhood.

"I'm just worried we won't have enough time and resources to make a dent before we need it,", Sam spoke solemnly, but as Pidge averted her gaze, an interaction entered her mind. Her hazel eyes shot to her father's face, reassurance glistening like a star.