Chapter Twenty-Five - The Time Has Come

"What?", Keith exclaimed, freezing. "As in, you're actually going into labour. Not fake contractions?", you nodded, feeling a slight urge to slap him if he kept asking silly questions. "How long has this been going on?", he grabbed your hand and allowed you to squeeze it, realising you were in more need of comfort than him currently. So, he brushed off his distress, focusing solely on you.

"A few hours, maybe? I've been having them since just before you all left to go to that base, but I didn't think anything of it at the time,", you panted, grip on his hand tightening as the muscles in your abdomen contracted painfully. "They're getting closer together, and that normally means it's actually happening, right?", you looked between him and Shiro for some confirmation.

"Yes, y/n, it does,", Shiro assured. "Has your water broken yet?"

"I-I don't think so. It's just pains every few minutes,", you told him, trying your best to keep your voice from wavering. The older male smiled comfortingly and nodded, calming your racing mind, any worries you had vanished. Keith felt similarly, the grin from his friend easing his nerves.

"Okay. Keith, get her to the med bay. I'll inform Coran and the rest of the team. It seems we'll be welcoming another person into the world sooner than expected,"

---

"How're you doing, y/n?", Lance chirped, walking into the med bay with an excited grin. You had been sat on the makeshift bed for what seemed like days, though you knew only an hour or so had passed since Keith had brought you there, Coran confirming that you were, indeed, going into labour.

"I feel alright, just tired. And my hair is starting to get in the way a little,", you admitted, returning his enthusiasm. He made his way to the side of the bed, planting himself by the side of you and motioning for you to turn around. "What?"

"I'll braid your hair to keep it out of your way,", he explained, digging through his pocket to retrieve a bobble. "It'll take two seconds, I promise,", he and Keith assisted you in turning slightly, Keith allowing you to play with his hands to keep you occupied for the time being, though Lance stuck to his word, as only a minute later, he patted your shoulder and smiled. "Done! Now you don't have to worry about it,"

"Thank you, Lance. You're a lifesaver,", you gave him a quick hug before leaning back onto Keith and shutting your eyes for a moment, wishing more than anything you could be swaddled up in a blanket sleeping rather than in med bay with near-constant pain.

"No problem! Anything to help. Make sure Keith grabs me, or someone, if you need anything else,", he planted a friendly kiss on your forehead and squeezed the other male's shoulder before walking out of the room, leaving you with a certain ravenette, and Coran, who was across the room, consumed in his thoughts as he occasionally checked your vitals and dilation.

"You can get some rest if you want. I know you probably need it after fighting so well,", you whispered, rubbing your stomach. At your words, a pair of violet eyes snapped down to look at you, meeting with your e/c ones, and he shook his head.

"I can rest later, we both can. I'm just relieved I can be here while you're giving birth, as I said earlier. You and the baby are my top priority right now, so don't worry about a thing. I'll be by your side for as long as I can,", he spoke softly, wiping away the tears that escaped your eyes and caressing your cheek. "Don't cry, darling. Just close your eyes for a bit, if you'd like,"

"Thank you, Keith. For everything, not just being here today, I mean everything. I can't imagine going through any of this without you. I don't think I could've,", you murmured, as yet another pain shot through your abdomen, sending you into a slight daze.

"Anything for you, y/n,", he whispered back, resting his chin on top of your head as you squeezed his hand. Despite the fact he was running low on sleep and most likely needed a nap, he didn't dare leave your side, any trace of exhaustion vanishing from his being at the mere thought of leaving you alone right now. It would be a long day, but he didn't care. He was prepared to stay awake for the rest of his life if you needed him to.