twenty-seven.

The Zuka Club took Haruhi and Kazumi to the First Practice Room, where many members practiced their lines for the performance

The Zuka Club took Haruhi and Kazumi to the First Practice Room, where many members practiced their lines for the performance. Most were too focused on watching Benibara and Haruhi rehearsing in the center of the room while Kazumi stood in a corner, wishing to go to her bed and curl herself under the sheets. She never felt so miserable.

Thankfully, Haruhi was conveniently the same size as the girl who supposedly got into an accident. So, she took the role of the protagonist.

"Ah, Marianne! How many times have I cursed the thousand nights I couldn't see you! How have I hated the people who said we were of different social status and the thousand hindrances denying our love!"

Benibara was doing a great job playing the male main character, as proved when all the girls sighed dreamily.

"Frederick-sama!" Haruhi called robotically and expressionlessly.

Kazumi's chest tightened in pain.

Benio was such an amazing actress that she remained unfazed by the younger girl's awful lack of skills. She pretended to fall on her back and resumed her lines.

"The injury I have sustained from the shot is too deep after all... Does my fate end here?"

"Frederick-sama!" Haruhi repeated, holding Benio in her arms.

Kazumi's held back a wince.

At that point, all the spectators sobbed as "Frederick-sama" said his last words before succumbing to his death. But if you asked Kazumi, it was more of a long speech rather than just a few words. She wanted to scream, "Shut up and go to the hospital, dammit!"

"Kazumi-senpai," Chizuru grabbed her attention. "It's almost time."

The light-brown-haired beauty handed Kazumi a microphone and waited for the music to start. Haruhi rose to her feet and lip-synced.

"I am certain that at this rate,

I will not lose anything at all.

Even the meaning of living under the skies,

That you are not part of--"

The mic stopped working suddenly, leaving Haruhi to move her mouth to no sound. Couldn't she even pick up the lack of music?

"I'm sorry!" Hinako apologized. "My legs got tangled up by the wires." She chuckled sheepishly.

"Be careful," Chizuru admonished lightly before plugging the mic back and playing the song again.

🌸

"It is almost time to raise the curtains!" Benibara announced jovially. "Let us make this the best show ever! Everyone, just think of this event as the auditions for Kurenai Tennyo!"