Chapter 19: The Iron Sphere Derby

"Thank you all for being here today. Approximately at the stadium currently more than 250,000 people are in attendance with millions watching throughout the country and in the world."
"Among those at the stadium we have with us eight of the top ten heroes including Deku himself."
"Now then what you will witness today is the newest batch of Japan's heroes all coming straight from UA high."
"Throughout these next few hours you will be seeing their abilities, powers, and skills in order to come out on top and be the next Sports Festival Grand Champion."
In a second, the entire crowd roared with cheer as the stadium came to life only to get drastically louder when Eraser Head said the words.
"Let this year's sports festival, begin."
Ear shattering, deafening shouts and cheers came from the stands as behind Eraser Head emerged a sign that all the students knew all too well.
Within that sign contained tens upon hundreds of combinations for the 2 events for the sports festival.
Erasure Head then handed the mic to Sonic as he shouted, "ARE YOU ALL READY FOR THE FIRST EVENT!"
More cheers and shouts came.
With one hand on the mic and the other on the screen he yelled.
"HELP ME COUNT DOWN, READY."
Everyone in the stadium stood up and in unison shouted.
"THEEE, TWO, ONE!"
Sonic then swiped down as a roulette was spun.
Nervousness seeped throughout the students as they watched event after event pass by.
Iyashi kept taking mental notes of the events.
'Obstacle course, Cavalry Battle, City Wide Scavenger Hunt.' He continued to note each and every one of the events, all seeming to get
The roulette slowed down passing by multiple names before stopping on one final one.
The Iron Sphere.
Everyone began to quiet down as this event was like no other.
The Iron sphere was called time and time again, the most difficult challenge in all of the sports festival. It involved a race on horseback in any random locations whether it be the harsh Himalayas or the unforgiving Sahara desert.
In the center a giant iron orb emerged, like a UFO touching down onto a farmer's land.
"For the first event we have the toughest of them all, The Iron Sphere Derby." Sonic stated through the intercoms. "The way this'll work, people will get divided into groups and all will enter the Iron Sphere to be put into simulation of whatever harsh landscape Binary comes up for them."
"With 1500 students in attendance, there will be a random assortment with 15 groups of 100 each." The less loud Grand Conductor explained.
Grand Conductor spoke again. "Everyone in an orderly fashion and demeanor, please step into the Iron Sphere and wait for further instructions."
"Oh we are so screwed." Joey said to Iyashi as they walked up to the sphere.
"Here's hoping the environment isn't Mt. Everest." Dobutsu nervously said.
"Good luck in there guys." Shinobi said as they made their way through the entrance.
"Wow it is dark in here huh Jojo." Iyashi said.
"Jojo?" He confusingly said.
"Shinobi, Dobutsu, Juryoku?" He called out.
Silence.
"Hello Iyashi Tsuyoi. And welcome to the Iron Sphere." A voice spoke to him.
"So I'm assuming this is going to be like those teleported waiting rooms?" A dumbfounded Iyashi said.
"Ehh not quite, you see I am the source code that runs the entirety of the Iron Sphere, but you can call me Binary. What I do is essentially boiled down to putting people into hyper realistic simulations." Binary stated.
"Like an AI."
"Something like that, within these simulations you will be put into one of the 15 groups along with having to race in a completely randomized environment."
"Can I be given any tips for this?"
"Don't perish, you will be put into the simulation in 3, 2, 1. Link Start."
Iyashi seemingly passed out only to wake up once more but this time in the middle of a desert surrounded by hundreds of horses and students, all of which including himself wearing their hero costumes."
"Welcome one and all to Egypt, a land filled with rich history and loads of sand." An unseen Binary said.
"Today you will all partake in the Iron Sphere Derby, the rules are simple the first three people to make it to the finish line gain a spot in the next event. Of course before reaching your destination you will also pass checkpoints."
And out of thin air a map was projected in front of them all.
"Hmm, I'm not too fond of this map let me change it very quickly."
Suddenly the ground beneath them all began to shake as their surroundings started to shift and mold into something new.
Parts of the map began to illuminate as Binary explained the layout of the new track.
"That's more like it, now then you will all start here in the center of New Cairo City. You will then make your way through a sizable portion of desert to the Great Sphinx. After maneuvering through the obstacles of the labyrinth I have constructed inside of it, you will make your way to the bustling life of pyramid gardens, where tourism sure is plentiful this time of year. After making your way through it's a full speed climb to the top of the Great Pyramid of Giza where the finish line will be awaiting."
"Sounds simple enough right."
Binary was met with nods and thumbs up of agreement.
"Good, remember the first three people to make it there secure their spots so be quick. Also please try to keep all of the race within the boundaries set by the map. Anyone who is caught trying to go around the obstacles will be promptly eliminated."
"What about our quirks usage." Someone in the crowd asked.
"There is no limit to how much you can use your quirks. You are to do anything in your capabilities to be the first ones there, however do please refrain from killing. You'd be surprised how many people have been eliminated like that.
I will not tolerate killing or torturing of any shape, way or form am I clear?"
"Yes Mr. Binary." Everyone spoke out.
"Good, also so be weary of your water amount as summers here can be, unforgiving."
Iyashi quickly mounted his horse which was nearly placed near the front, so a great feeling of relief came over him.
On the outside—
"All of the students are prepped and ready. Whenever someone gets eliminated they will be taken out of the simulation and brought back out here. By the end of this round only 300 people should be left. Binary, you may start when you wish."
In the Simulation—
"The Iron Sphere Derby shall begin in 3, 2, 1 GO!" Binary said as he shot off a gun.
Immediately everyone began to bolt down the track as people kept pushing their horses to the limits.
Iyashi had a fairly decent understanding of Horseback Racing, so he knew most of the basics, as well as knowing to not overwork his horse.
As he rode along the track, some people zoomed above him, not seeing the need to use their horses.
In a pleasant surprise he noticed Taiyo flying above him.
"Oi Taiyo!" He called out.
Taiyo noticed him calling his name and flew down closer to where he was.
"Oh hey Iyashi didn't expect to see anyone else from 1-A here."
"Same here, you want to team up? After all there's three spots and the two of us together we're bound to get the two." Iyashi asked him.
"Don't see why not. I'll go on ahead to scout out the course for you, I'll be back in a bit." Taiyo said as he zoomed past Iyashi.
The large group was coming up on the end of the first track in which the grace period would end.
Iyashi readied his quirk and began to prepare for any oncoming onslaught.
"Grinding Gears."
An excessive amount of metals came from all around as people swerved left and right to avoid it.
One by one people began to get eliminated as either their horse or they were unable to continue on.
Iyashi swerved his horse left and right, had it jump over countless debris and at one point having to duck as well.
A couple meters ahead of him he saw a group of around 5 people, one of which had all sorts of scraps flying around him.
In a gritty voice. "Damn I thought I'd have been able to knock out at least 20 people with that, oh well we can settle for a dozen." The person said.
"It seems there's a flyer ahead of us." One of the other kids said as he pointed to Taiyo in the distance.
"He's that one guy from class 1-A right? Oi Hawke, you mind taking care of him."
"Gladly."
"Straw Man's Grasp."
Someone from the group held his hands out as countless fibers of straw came from his fingers and began chasing down Taiyo.
Taiyo quickly took notice of the oncoming attack and began to maneuver himself through the air in an attempt to dodge the attacks.
It was to no avail however as the 5 fibers began to redirect themselves like a homing missle hell bent on only catching Taiyo.
Taiyo swerved like a jet through the air dodging the straws as he kept on pushing forward.
In the sky only a giant web of straws could be seen with Taiyo maneuvering himself through it.
As Taiyo kept moving through the web he was eventually knocked onto one of the fibers and began to lose his speed, from there one of the fibers ends grabbed his foot, completely stopping all of his movement.
Then as if it had a mind of its own, the web completely collapsed, wrapping Taiyo with hundreds of thousands of straw fibers.
Taiyo was brought to the ground with a loud thud as sand blew away from his impact.
The group quickly made their escape, eager to be the first sip to the pyramids.
Iyashi stopped next to Taiyo and helped him break free of the straw.
The straw was coarse and rough, but very sturdy. It was almost as sturdy as the stalks of bamboo Zoka makes on the daily.
Iyashi kept trying his best but to no avail as all of the straw was too difficult for him to rip off.
Suddenly the wind sounded as though it shot right by Iyashi's ear as the straws came undone in an instant.
Standing up almost immediately, Iyashi got into a fighting stance with Taiyo shortly joining him.
From behind them came a voice that sounded excessively western.
"I come in peace, I am only here to form an alliance."
The voice came from somewhere that was cast over by a buildings shadow.
Turning in that direction, "And how do we know we can trust you?" Taiyo said.
"I'm a bit of an expert at these things, and y'all are team players."
The shadow was lifted as it revealed a skeletal horse with a white fire for a mane and scarlet red eyes.
And atop the horse was one of the most promising Class 1-B students. Hoshi Kishu: The Star Jockey.
"And I know for a fact, we want to win this competition."
Iyashi dusted himself off, "And you are?"
"Yueri Kishu at your service, I'm rank number 6 in Class 1-B and rank 20 overall in the school."
"I'm assuming you already know who we are." Taiyo asked him.
"Hell you're all everyone talks about Iyashi, chicks dig ya."
"Well if we are going to be forming an alliance then you better start giving us more reasons to trust you." Taiyo said as he walked closer to Hoshi.
Suddenly the skeletal horse darted in front of Taiyo as it's mane grew more wild and violent.
"Easy girl, we're trying to make new friends here, that's all." Yueri said as he calmed down his horse.
"I'll explain my abilities on the way to the pyramids, right now we're getting passed by everyone." Yueri said as he dashed ahead of the two.
Iyashi quickly ran to his horse and bolted after Yueri, Taiyo following the two in the air.
Iyashi looked at the large groups of people. Even though they hadn't yet reached the 1st half of the course roughly half of all the people were already eliminated.
Iyashi and Taiyo eventually caught up to Hoshi as they were rounding near the second landmark, the Great Sphinx and its labyrinth.
"Alright first thing we gotta know are quirks and general abilities that can come in handy Hoshi." Taiyo demanded from him flying directly above the two.
"My quirk is Fighting Spirit. And her name is Pick up the pieces."
Yueri Kishu, the phantom horse rider. His Quirk Fighting Spirit: Pick Up The Pieces. With his fighting spirit he can summon a phantom horse named Pick Up The Pieces, the phantom steed can possess people, burn anything with her eternal fire mane, and phase through any surface effortlessly. Additionally, Yueri can shoot his nails as though his hands were guns. These nail-bullets can go through metal sheets effortlessly, however their speed can be controlled by Yueri himself for non-lethal confrontations.
"Alright now that we've been accustomed with one another let's go for the sphinx." Yueri said.
"Agreed, Taiyo you ready."
"I'm alright here, let's go."
They all dashed to the sphinx as the arms of it began to be raised an entrance to an underground tomb was revealed as the group of three made their way into it.
To be continued—
Ello
This chapter took a while to make cuz I very sleepy
I go mimir now
GO BEYOND PLUS ULTRA