| Chapter Fourteen |

The knocking had started an hour ago

At first it was sporadic, random, and even quiet.

But the more Sorein ignored the obnoxious tapping, the quicker it had become a pounding that shook his walls.

Even that he supposed was a courtesy to what would come next. He was certain today was the day his father arrived in Chiori Faire.

The King of Azuris would follow his strict protocol, entering the city's heart and meeting with the island's Queen. He would live within the walls of the Estate while here, with the protection of the Guard at his disposal.

That meant Jeremy would likely disappear in the coming days, leaving Sorein alone with Noah.

"Sorein, please don't make me break the door," Jeremy groaned through the oak.

A softer thud landed and Sorein knew it was Jeremy's forehead that time.

Laughter echoed from the other side, Noah coming to stand beside him. "I'd actually like to see that."

Jeremy ignored him. "Andrin will be here in an hour, we'll need to start leaving in fifteen minutes."

"Then bother me in fifteen minutes," Sorein called back, a bitterness lacing his voice.

If he was being honest, Sorein knew he could get dressed and look presentable enough to leave in five. Even if he hadn't moved once today other than to roll off the weird knot his sheets had formed beneath him.

He didn't feel like getting out of bed.

Nor did he want to go to the very place he wanted desperately to avoid.

Between watching Iliya get carried off into the night by her strange grandfather and their argument, facing that music wasn't something he had any interest in.

Granted, Ezre had warned him.

She might remember nothing at all.

Then what would he do?

"Sorein, you need to eat," Jeremy yelled through the door again. "And perhaps not look like a cavern dweller."

Sorein didn't particularly care about that either.

He chose not to say anything again.

"Fine," his Captain said. "Ten minutes, but then that door's coming off those hinges."

Sorein smirked.

Then he'd get up in nine.

~~~~~~~~~~

A blade sang through the air, nicking her cheekbone.

Of the four blades thrown at her, Iliya had managed to dodge three, nearly escaping the final. She felt the tiniest drop of blood trickle down her cheek. Too slow. She continued to move too slowly.