| Chapter Thirty Eight |

Dawn crested the horizon line, providing a dim light which illuminated the gates of Chiori's Estate

Dawn crested the horizon line, providing a dim light which illuminated the gates of Chiori's Estate. After cleansing himself from the awful experience in Nioreir, Sorein stood outside awaiting the team who'd been assigned to their voyage.

He'd attempted to sleep for a few hours to no avail, before finally settling on a distant vigil. Only now were people starting to gather and he wanted to know just who planned to set foot on his shores.

Ezre was the earliest, wearing his tactical gear. Other than the militia suit, he'd been smart enough to bring a thick overcoat.

He nodded at Sorein, coming to stand on the other side of the gate.

No one was certain what they would find at the Temple and Sorein was glad for it. He knew people would be overwhelmed enough by the spirits roaming freely. One person always ended up wandering off in search of their loved ones, sometimes even losing themselves. Maintaining vigilance was the only way he knew they would all make it out of this alive.

Taking a deep breath, he wasn't surprised to see Nixian come down the stairs next, his hands stuffed casually in his pockets. The Nerydian was more alert than ever, enjoying the early morning brine coasting off the beaches.

He smirked at Sorein, tipping his head in greeting as he always had.

Next came a man Sorein couldn't place at first, forcing him to squint away the exhaustion. He could've sworn he was looking at Rhydian, but this man was both shorter and more lean than his doppelganger.

Stalking down the walkway, he came to stand beside Ezre without glancing at anyone else.

As disarming as it was, Sorein was quickly distracted by Iliya's small frame slipping gracefully out from the Estate. He had no inclination Ezre was going to tell her they were leaving, let alone invite her.

The Princess's gaze zeroed in on the man beside Ezre quickly as she made a conscious effort to stand away from him and approach Sorein.

"You're in one piece," she said, nearly sighing with relief.

Sorein's brow raised. "Am I not supposed to be?"

Iliya chuckled, nodding toward her grandfather. "I'm not certain I'll ever understand his methods," she mused.

"Who's that?" Sorein asked, motioning to the mysterious man.

The smile faded from her lips. "Elliott Dalaminai," she muttered, disdain seeping into her voice. "I'm certain Rhydian inherited every ounce of warmth in the womb."

As serious as she was, the statement made Sorein laugh. "His brother, I take it?"

She nodded, trying and failing to smile again.

A Guardsman came down the stairs next, grinning at Iliya. Approaching, he grasped her shoulder lightly and murmured what sounded like thanks into her ear, but Sorein was too distracted by his father storming down the stairs. Noah was on his trial, giving Andrin a wide berth.