| Chapter Sixteen |

She barely remembered making it down the stairs for dinner, her body protesting with every small movement

She barely remembered making it down the stairs for dinner, her body protesting with every small movement. The callouses building on her fingers scraped against the fabrics of her outfit, snagging against the cotton and smoothing over the leather corset she had wrapping over a white shirt.

Iliya's knees threatened to buckle under the pressure of her weight, her movements slow and calculated until she made it to the game room.

She expected to see Rhydian, maybe even some of his friends playing billiards.

Not Sorein's Captain and Noah Whitecross awkwardly waiting outside the doors to the library. They hadn't even bothered to rest themselves on one of the many sofas. It had been hours since Andrin had entered her home, yet it seemed to her they'd never come out.

Jeremy noticed her immediately and straightened, blinking the fog from his eyes while Noah continued to stare longingly after the couches in the corner.

His yearning amused her.

"Your Highness," the Captain blurted out.

Noah's gaze snapped over to focus on her.

"Please," Iliya found herself saying. "Don't call me that."

Jeremy's brows drew together in confusion, but Noah didn't seem all too surprised. Iliya wasn't certain what they knew of her, but she knew Sorein would've told them a few things at least. Both of them stared at her, watching her as if she might do something unseemly.

Iliya glanced at the door they were standing outside and nodded. "How long has he been in there?"

"Four Hours and Thirty-eight Minutes," Jeremy said at the same time Noah replied with, "It feels like centuries."

Their gaze snapped away from Iliya long enough to toss each other an odd look.

She giggled. "I see," she said. "Then would you happen to know if Rhydian has woken yet?"

"We haven't seen him," Noah answered.

Iliya's lips pursed, wondering if he truly meant to sleep all day. Rhydian had a bad habit of overcompensating if he was given an excuse to, so she'd likely have to retrieve him herself.

Wood creaked as the library doors parted, revealing the Prince of Azuris with an unnaturally tight, angry look on his face. He shut the doors with a whisper, ignoring everyone in the room and passing through as if he were merely a phantom.

Iliya's heart ached at the look, at the eyes he fastened to the oak beneath them.

Noah went to speak, stopping as if he noticed too, the strange, livid silence.

"Sorein," Iliya said softly, looking up at him.

His shoulder brushed hers as he paused. Sorein looked down at her - their height difference forcing Iliya to tilt her neck back - as if she might be the only thing in the world besides whatever lay on his mind and the ground.