| Chapter Twenty Nine |

There were a lot of wives' tales about following strange men into the woods

There were a lot of wives' tales about following strange men into the woods. Iliya couldn't remember much of them, but they never seemed to end well.

Following Noah into the forest didn't feel nearly as uncomfortable or alarming as she anticipated. Sorein trusted him, even trusting her with him.

Still. Iliya had no idea why Sorein had asked her to retrieve Noah, emphasizing her need for potential discretion when for all intents and purposes, the man seemed normal. Perhaps turbulent and mentally drained, but well enough.

His seriousness had returned as they made their way up the trail. Noah often walked too fast for her to shield him from the rain, so Iliya continued to curse her short legs.

"You're certain about this?" she called out to him, hoping the rain didn't drown out her words.

Noah looked back at her, still mulling something over. His jaw worked itself tightly. "I think so," he answered, his voice still soft. "I've never been one to gamble..."

She found the sentence curious, watching him carefully as they broke free from the treeline and stood before the vastness of Mirror Lake. The treacherous pass that guarded the otherside was nothing more than a shadow of forest across the water.

Iliya found herself moving closer to Noah as he paused, casting his sullen gaze over the ripples.

Once again, she spoke without thought. "Does he know...?" Iliya found herself asking. "Of the mask you bare?"

Noah blinked, concealing silent surprise. He leveled his gaze with hers, before slipping a curious glance to her left hand. "Does he know of the wards you bare?"

Her cheeks heated, a subconscious hand slipping over her rings. Iliya's breath caught as she struggled to find a defense, but her speech was soundless. The rings burned to life against her skin, reminding her of the spell.

Iliya shook her head.

Sorein didn't know what they meant, only that she wore them.

She truly couldn't answer.

"Milady, you are a great many things but idiocy doesn't suit you," he sighed. Noah glanced around them, before stepping up to the lakes edge. "Lying doesn't suit you much either."

She couldn't capture her thoughts, reeling away from her like a loose fishing line. Her deflections died once they reached her lips and his keen attention was becoming painful and intense.

Noah hadn't denied her, though.

His question ringing out like a price for her own.

"You don't understand..." she whispered. "I can't say–"

Noah chuckled, amused by her discomfort. "Don't worry, I know."

She blinked, her throat dry.

"There is a way around the spell, you know?"