| Chapter Twenty Two |

Wrong

Wrong.

The air felt wrong.

A chiming glass disrupted the tentative grip Iliya had on reality, stunting her frustration for a moment.

"Thank you all for joining us this evening," Ezre announced, raising his glass. "Mah Theileh Bendite, Aida."

May Aida Bless us all.

She knew he would begin the Ceremony, calling Sorein up shortly after. They would all offer their prayers to Aida as he entered the Chamber. She just had to breathe through it, pace herself.

The room grew eerily quiet, footsteps and glasses silencing with unnerving subtlety. Iliya could hear the sounds of gowns breezing across the floor, of a soft wind rippling against the window panes, but the pounding in her head became obnoxious.

She didn't know when she'd let go of Sorein's hand, but the distance between them deepened a step as he prepared to be called.

"Tonight we honor Aida in the light of Solstice, protecting the blessing offered to our Houses three centuries ago," The King continued. "If you'd all be so kind as to give our guests your attention."

Ezre was staring between Andrin and Sorein now.

Iliya knew she was holding her breath, her fingers curling in on themselves, but she couldn't force herself to inhale.

Andrin offered a shallow bow, his haggard features smoothed with false emotion. Iliya hadn't noticed how tired he was before, the King of Azuris always looked peaceful and calm, as if lint wouldn't even risk offending him. Yet now his short, black hair sprawled over his ears, chaotic and shaggy in comparison to the greased look she was familiar with. His suit was wrinkled as if he'd been wearing it for days. Iliya thought she saw a gleam in his gaze, as though his eyes were bloodshot and overworked.

Bile shot up her throat and she swallowed tightly. Even he appeared out of sorts, another bad omen boiling in her blood.

"Many thanks," Andrin said, nodding. "On this longest day, we gather not only to offer our blessings to Aida, but to the longevity of our world's peace. I see so many faces, so many people who've come to share in our unity and it brings me a sense of solace, knowing we've overcome turbulence and tragedy in these last years."

Iliya wasn't certain she would ever fully grasp the depths of his truth. She'd been sheltered, both by her family and herself.

Still, she glanced around the room to see both royalty and commonfolk. There was a presence from every country, from every continent.

The King seemed to consider something before continuing. "Within my life I haven't had the pleasure of seeing true harmony, though I believe now it has become possible," he began, his gaze gracing everyone and no one at the same time. Andrin took another deep breath. "This is in large part due to my son, whose perspective and experiences have made him an invaluable influence in my life. Tonight, I would like us to celebrate the years of peace to come, and the Sealing of Sorein as he embraces his true purpose."