| Chapter Forty Six |

"What do you mean ten minutes ago?"

Her mother took calculated steps toward the vials and tubes hanging beside Iliya's bed. Movements she'd marked with interest, memorizing which medicines Destry focused on.

A golden tube with flecks of orange and a large cylinder of green mana which appeared to be supplementing her life force for the time being.

"The High Council is taking Sorein's statement, as I am yours," Destry said, tracing a hand along one of the tubes. "Someday you might forgive me for what needs to be done."

"What are you talking about?"

"Your condition is only worsening and this might be my only chance to protect–"

"What in Heilos are you talking about?"

Her mother sighed, her hand dropping away from the vials. "The future of Chiori will be strained if someone were to discover your Ionsia, Dove. Letting Sorein take the heat will allow us more time to–"

"No, no," Iliya snapped, cutting her off. "Stop. You cannot be suggesting what I think you're suggesting right now."

"Unfortunately it's not up for discussion, Iliya," she replied, straightening as her face hardened. "However much you care for him, you'll need to overlook that for the security of our country."

"You're mad, since when did you become allergic to the truth?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Then I'll spell it out for you," Iliya said angrily, glaring daggers into her mother. "For years I have been alone, wondering what in Heilos was wrong with me when the answer could have been so simple. Yet here we are now, I've had to learn everything on my own. Alone. Utterly alone. You want to take away the one person who bothered to even speak with me? Acknowledge me? Use him as a scapegoat?"

Destry swallowed, turning away from her. "We've all needed to make sacrifices to protect you, Darling."

Iliya snorted. "You couldn't be bothered to tell me I'm to die one day anyway. Instead, you spent the last two years guilting and pleading with me to live. Now tell me what you know of fair?"

She could hear her mothers voice begin to break, tears forming in her eyes. "You were never supposed to know, you weren't supposed to find out until Ezre and I finished our search for the cure."

"There is no cure."

"How do you expect me to just accept that?" Destry demanded, a tear streaking down her cheek. "How am I supposed to watch my only child die?"

"I don't know..." Iliya whispered, frowning. A wave of numb tension washed through her. "But I promise you, if Sorein isn't allowed a fair trial, I will expose myself."

Destry shook her head. "I was hoping you wouldn't start making threats."

Her mother stepped back over to the vials on the wall and pressed one of the shiny blue buttons.