| Chapter Twenty Four |

He'd spent years preparing for combat

Yet never once had Sorein needed to fight through the resonant throbbing in his veins and ringing in his ears. He was starting with a handicap, staggering upright as his vision swayed and the reality sunk into him.

Chiori's strong, stubborn Princess slumped against the far wall like discarded trash.

The voices filling the room were a chaotic smearing of words, there sounds penetrating his ears but still falling short as if it were a language he never heard before.

Sorein scanned the room, his focus swaying from the guarded position The Chieftains daughter took up before his friend, to his father barking orders from the steps of the dias.

Andrin Chakrine had already begun organizing the Royal Guard on his side of the ballroom, years of training washing away the exhausted look on his face in favor of confidence.

Despite the peace Chiori prided themselves in protecting, Solraidas and Nynoli were fluent in bloodshed no matter how internal. The Fae continent especially endured territory wars, considering they didn't not create unified cities as the rest of the world did.

The ringing in his ears began to fade as Sorein took in the massive abyss spreading down the side of the Aphyre and through the marble flooring. Creatures of shadow and malice spilled out from inside, their gleaming ember eyes and taloned fingers forming like a wives tale for the young. Their odor was the most wretched of all, plaguing the air with sewage soaked sulfur and salt.

He fought the grimace on his face, trying to concentrate. His fathers words finally began sinking into his head.

"-all Enrymis must make their way to the dias," he yelled out over the uproar. "Keep the children closest to any Castor's, prioritize sealing the barrier!"

Enrymis, he scoffed, shaking his head. Sorein could think of a plethora of words better for those without access to Mana. Still, he did agree their presence around the children would provide a buffer while the Therian Guards secured the grounds.

He wanted them shielded from the dangers before them.

"Sorein!" Jeremy yelled out, his teeth gritted as he fought off one of the shadowed entities. "Do you plan to stand there all day?"

No.

Not with the power flowing through his veins.

His eyes lingered on Iliya's unconscious body, watching as Qudja grasped vibrant green long swords in either hand, small daggers peeking out from beneath their hilts. Her eyes were honed in on the creatures before her, slashing and stabbing her way through the crowd of darkness.

"Seal the grounds!" Destry ordered throughout the room, her own hands bathed in golden light as she navigated the hall. She crafted sigils and wards through the air, attempting to build safe spaces. "Protect the Aphyre!"