| Chapter Forty Seven |

The turbulence outside was almost as rampant as her thoughts, rumbling between Sorein's lies and her Mother's corrupt protection

The turbulence outside was almost as rampant as her thoughts, rumbling between Sorein's lies and her Mother's corrupt protection. Iliya auto piloted, following as Noah half-dragged her through the hallways.

He halted in front of the billiard room.

She stopped behind him, unsure of his objective.

Noah stuck his head inside, surveying the room before gesturing her in.

His quick, secretive movements were fluid and precise as they ducked into the back corner where several leather couches faced one another in three fourths a square.

"Sorein gave his statement today," Noah said in a hushed voice, constantly looking over his shoulder. "He hasn't mentioned your condition or your association with King Ravellier yet."

Iliya frowned. "The public jury is calling for a Ritual, Noah. A Ritual."

His brows furrowed in confusion.

She had to remind herself no matter how clever he might be, Noah did not grow up in this foreign country. He was raised in a world of mortals, where sacrifices weren't a nobel and honorable punishment.

Iliya refused to give into the tears again as she forced herself to explain.

"When a male or female chosen by the Gods has already been sealed, their lives are given in their name instead of corporal punishment."

His mouth pressed into a tight line, visibly paling.

Noah continued to stare at the door with great interest, either waiting for someone or staying guarded, but Iliya couldn't decipher which.

"After some thought, I came up with a plan," he whispered, ducking in closer to her. His blonde hair swept over his gaze. "I've given Andrin my resignation."

"You what?!?"

Noah clamped a hand over her mouth with a hard glare. "You heard me."

Her heartbeat desperately clambered for a way out of her chest. "Why in Heilos would you do that?"

"For several reasons. I cannot hide behind Sorein for the rest of my days, nor can I serve Azuris when it is not my home," Noah explained, carefully lowering his hand. "Don't feel guilty, Iliya. I've submitted my application to RIM."

She blinked.

A human participating in the guild?

"Is that even possible?"

His answering smirk said enough.

"I don't understand."

He sighed, leaning back and crossing his arms. "Think about it. As an agent of RIM, I'll be able to fulfill my duties to my Father while being allowed to travel overseas. Each Officer is given two main countries as their domain and currently due to the treaties, they are looking for an Agent to travel in and out of Zavere."