| Chapter Forty Five |

Sitting with his arms folded neatly in his lap, Sorein watched as several people filed into the Courtroom

He supposed he should be lucky they hadn't insisted on feeding him various tonics or cuffing him. Without his magic, that wouldn't be necessary.

Sorein had a hard enough time sitting up this morning, all of his strength funneling into finding out what happened to Iliya. Noah provided as many updates as he could, but without permission to enter the Infirmary, he wouldn't know the truth.

He took a deep breath and locked eyes with Ezre.

The King sat at the head of the table, across from him. Those golden irises locked onto him with the same interest. He raised a brow at him before turning to Levias, the stern expression locking back into place.

His cousin appeared just as skeptical about the situation, looking at Sorein with doubt but not disappointment.

Slowly glancing around the room, he marked each presence with a calm nod and waited.

Queen Elive of Solraidas.

Contrasting the King of Chiori in every way, she stepped into the room like a poised gazelle. Her clothing a soft cream color with flowing robes as opposed to Ezre's black suit. They eyed each other tenuously as she passed and sat in the chair beside him.

Then came Attlis Gothalis, current King of Nynoli. His golden-brown skin was a stark contrast to his father thanks to his mother, yet utterly human.

Sorein noted the squishy, rounder features. Taking particular interest in his thickly built frame and the glasses resting on the tip of his nose, it was fair to say the man was not the finest specimen.

Orla Dalaminai and Drysten Mochaini entered last, sharing a brief exchange that led to a subtle laugh between them.

As each individual took their seat, he noted the core representation without any Nerydian or Caster presence. In fact, there wasn't a Dynali presence either.

Sorein frowned internally, marking the six officials with distaste. He knew being in the hot seat meant it was best to keep his mouth shut, but he couldn't help but wonder where his father and Destry had gone off too.

Levias stood up. "Do you understand why you are here?"

"I do." His teeth clenched, rolling tides of anger stirring within him.

Sorein remained calm, his facial expression open. He took another breath before sitting up in his seat.

"During this meeting, we will be taking a formal statement from you, Sorein Chakrine, about the events that took place on Azuris four days past. At this time, I highly advise you to be clear and integral with your words," his cousin spoke, still shooting glares between Ezre and Elive. "We understand the convoluted nature of these circumstances and take care in reminding you that this is not a trial."