33- Why does this have to happen?

Itachi's POV:

I was returning to the compound from a mission when Otou-san called me over. I followed him to the main house's private training grounds where Shisui and Himeko were training.

"Shisui, stop training for a moment. I need to talk to you about something important," said Fugaku. Shisui stopped while Himeko took that cue to leave, assuming it was something she shouldn't hear. "I'll take my leave then Fugaku-sama, it's almost time to cook dinner anyway." She walked away with her guards trailing after her and after making sure we were alone, Otou-sama started talking.

"The clan is planning a coup  d'etat against the village," Otou-sama said bluntly. Me and Shisui's eyes widened but quickly returned to their calm self. Should've expected this to happen... and yet, it was so sudden. "Itachi, you're going to be spying on the council from the inside since you're an anbu member. Shisui, you'll be doing the same as well. Report their movements to the clan every once a week," and with that Otou-san walked back to the compound.

We both stood there in silence before Shisui finally broke it, "So... what should we do now?" Shisui asked with worry. I exhaled without even realizing I was holding in my breath during that conversation, "I don't know..."

———————————————————————————

Seraphina's POV:

I was helping Mikoto cook dinner when I heard the door sliding open and closing. I walked out of the kitchen to see Fugaku taking off his sandals without the other two. Where are those two? They should've came back with Fugaku. But I heard the door sliding open again to see Itachi and Shisui coming inside but with a worried expression on their faces. Whatever Fugaku told them, it can't be good....

During dinner, Itachi, Shisui and Fugaku were awfully quiet. To make sure Sasuke doesn't suspect a thing, I kept his attention on me to the best of my abilities. Mainly by asking him how his progress of learning lightning jutsus, how his kunai/shuriken throwing are going and how his chakra control training is going. Soon Sasuke left to go do his homework while Mikoto left to wash the dishes. I told the guards to go back home and after much of their protesting, they left after reassuring them that Itachi and Shisui can protect me.

As soon as they left, I turned my direction to the trio. "Fugaku-sama, if I may ask, what did you tell Itachi and Shisui?" I asked. All three looked at me with a normal expression but their eyes were more distant and spaced out. "A clan matter, it doesn't concern you Himeko." Fugaku stated before getting up and leaving the table. So he's tell- no, he's ordering me to not get involved. I turned to Itachi and Shisui with a questioning look while they shook their heads.

Shisui patted my head, "It's a private clan matter, don't about it Himeko-chan!" he said with a smile but that smile was fake. I knew I won't get anywhere with this since they'll just say it's a private clan matter so I nodded, I got up and left for Itachi's room. But not before I inserted a butterfly in both of their heads. It might actually be a private clan matter but Shisui and Itachi having such expressions after is very concerning.

You guys might have told me to not get involved but how can I not? I already see you guys as a second family. Whatever is bothering you all, I'll do my best to help, regardless of whatever you say.

I went to shower while starting to listen to the boys' thoughts.

'Sorry Himeko-chan, but it's best for you to not get involved.' I heard from Shisui's head. Why though?

'I need to keep Himeko and Sasuke out of this.' I heard from Itachi's head. Sasuke as well?

The next thing I heard made me choke on my spit.

'To think that the clan is planning a coup d'etat against the leaf... this would start another war against the other villages.' I heard from Shisui's head. What?! Why?!

I disconnected the butterflies that I inserted in Shisui and Itachi's head. Even though I wasn't sure of the reason why the Uchihas are planning a coup d'etat, I had a hunch about it. Considering how the Uchihas live on the outskirts of the village despite being the police force of the village and how they get some glares from the civilians, I assumed they did something wrong or either they were accused of something they didn't do.

So the clan was probably being treated unfairly by the village and decided to overthrow the hokage to take control of the village for themselves. They're seeking death.... Although I don't know how to prevent this either....

I sighed in frustration before turning the shower off and getting in my nightgown. I walked out of the bathroom and climb on Itachi's bed. After a few minutes, I dozed off while hugging a pillow.

———————————————————————————

Itachi's POV:

I come out of the bathroom in my sleepwear to see Himeko asleep, cuddling with a pillow. I could tell I was death glaring the pillow. First time I've ever felt jealous of a non living object... I don't know how I should feel about this.... I sighed before climbing into my bed and cuddled with Himeko. I need a solution to this otherwise there won't be anymore moments like this in the future. But for now, waking up tomorrow with no energy isn't on the agenda. I drifted off to sleep on that thought.

.

The next day...

I woke up with my arms wrapped around Himeko sleeping peacefully. If only I could stay a bit longer but I have a mission to do... I got up, showered, ate a quick breakfast and head off to the hokage's office.

After changing into my anbu uniform, Shisui came up to me and while passing by, he whispered, "We should tell the hokage..." I knew what he meant by that immediately and followed him out of the changing rooms. Instead of body flickering to the office, we decided to take the long way and hopped from rooftop to rooftop. We soon landed in front of the hokage building and walked in. After knocking on the door, we heard a gruff come in.

We entered the room and got on one knee. The hokage looked up from his paperwork, "Oh, you're here. Well then, here's your next mission." Before he could say anything else, Shisui interrupted him. "Before that Hokage-sama... we have something important to discuss, privately." Shisui stated. The hokage had a questioning look but dismissed his anbu guards when seeing how serious Shisui was.

1130 words