1 - Beginnings,

Greyson

"Okay everyone! that's a wrap, practice is same time next week, please bring your own skates next time, I'm looking at you Preston jones. Okay, off you go."
My coach yelled out across the rink, and everyone made their way back to the changing rooms. Patting Preston on the back, I waddle as quickly as I can in my skates, the awkwardness of the blade definitely is affecting my ability to walk.
"Greyson, a word please"
"Hm? oh yes coach." I stay back a moment, and let the others leave before talking to the coach of my Ice hockey team. We aren't that great, but we try. As the captain, it's not a surprise that I've been called back, considering we have done little to no preparation for the upcoming tournament. I realise I zoned out, and I quickly shake my head and listen to what my coach says.
"I want you to research the other teams going to the tournament, and make sure we practice their weaknesses. Alright, your free to go."

"Yo! Grey!" A familiar voice calls out to me as I walk into the changing rooms, and going over to him, I start to change back into clothes that don't feel like an astronaut suit, and some shoes I don't have to act like I'm walking on a tightrope. We talk back and forth for a little bit, whilst he pushes his red hair back with a white bandana.

"No Preston, for the last time I am not interested in Lia. Why are you even asking? Aren't you the one that likes her?"

"Bro shut the fuck uppp! Good, I'm going to ask her out soon..."
"And when is soon, Pres? Next year? The year after?" I laugh as he rolls his eyes, and the next thing I know I'm getting a call from none other then my pain in the ass sister. Twin sister may I add. Juniper is constantly asking me for money, and when she doesn't get it, she cries to her boyfriend. I'm surprised he hasn't gone into debt from the amount he's given her. And, surprise surprise, he's on my hockey team. Not that he matters anyway.

"June, what the fuck do you want now, and no I don't have any money."
"Greyyyyy!!! I'm not after money this time-"
"Wow, that's a surprise." I laugh, and it's almost like I could hear the eye roll juniper gave me over the phone.
"Where's my boyfriend? He said he was gonna take me home." She pouts, and audibly pulls a frowny face.
This conversation happens very frequently. The only reason she calls me is because she knows he's in my hockey team, if he wasn't, she wouldn't care to call me. I thought getting into a club after school and a college team would at least get me away from juniper for a little bit, but no. Her boyfriend has to be here. I look around, and find him searching through his bag.
"East," I call out, and Easton turns to face me, half expecting what I'm going to say, since the only times I've ever spoken to him are about my sister.
"June's on the phone," I continue, "she's waiting."
He nods, and packs his stuff away quickly, and thanks me as he walks out of the door.
"Is he coming Greyyyyy?" Juniper calls out in a kid-like voice, and I hang up in disgust. She makes my skin crawl, my blood boil, and my tolerance for her plummet by the minute. She acts like a spoiled little brat who spends her time counting money instead of actually growing up.

I thank my team, and I head out. It's 5pm on a Tuesday, so I can head straight home, and stay there.  No parties until the end of the week. I mean, who would have a party on a Tuesday? I get in my car, and blast my favourite songs making the way home.
I open the door, and notice my parents in the kitchen cooking dinner, as they usually are when I get home. I walk to my room, which thankfully I don't have to share with Juniper anymore. Those 14 years of my life sucked. Despite that, here I am. An 18 year old with my own room, sitting in front of the mirror. I take down the small ponytail that had become loose throughout the day, and brush my hair, before scrolling through tik tok for hours on end, laughing at some relatable ones, before sighing and closing it down.
"June! Grey! Come down for dinner please!"
My dad calls from downstairs, and I hear juniper rushing out of her room, and so I sprint to beat her to the dinner table, yes we may be 18 years old, but racing to the table never gets old. Juniper pushed past my shoulder forcefully, pulling me back a few steps.
"HAH! I win." Juniper loudly exclaims, to which I shake my head.
"Only cuz you cheated." I roll my eyes, which makes my mom laugh.
"Alright you two, sit down before your food gets cold."
Most of the meal is ate in silence, which my parents say they prefer as 'it gives us a break, silence is golden!'
"Mom, dad." I speak up, after 10 or so minutes.
"Yeah?" My dad says, mouth full of food, to which my mom kicks him in the leg for, before turning to face me.
"My tournament is coming up soon. It's in Canada."
"Canada? Fancy! How are you getting there?"
"I Dunno. It's in a month so they haven't said much yet." I play with the food on my plate, whilst occasionally looking at them.
"Only a month!? You better start packing young man!" My mom says, standing up from her seat, and my dad pulls her back down.
"I'll be there for 2 months, they are paying for the hotel and food, but we have full freedom except for the 3 times a week we practice."
"2 months? Without me? Are you gonna be okay?" She says, and Juniper laughs.
"Juniper, That is disrespectful."
"Soz." She continues eating, and I kick her under the table, and she slams her knife and fork down dramatically.
"First, you refuse to pick me up from school so I had to ask my lovely boyfriend to do it for me. Then you kick me? Grey. I will kill yo-"
"Juniper!" My mom says, my dad has no reaction, he's so unbothered by her drama that I think he turns off his hearing until we stop.
"He kicked me! I'm not going to stay quiet!"
I roll my eyes, and continue eating. Juniper glared at me from across the table like she was planning to kill me. Charming. At least mom noticed.
"I have had it with you two! We had twins, and thought you would be so close. We were so excited to have you both, and now you make me want to go back in time and stop your father from ever having se-"
"OOOOOKAY HONEY. Let's stop right there."
"Fine. But, as punishment for the 18 years of bickering, Juniper and Greyson, you will be spending the whole 2 months in Canada, TOGETHER. Understand?"
"What? Mom that's for my tournament! It's not a holiday! She can't come!"
"Mom please I don't want to go! Where will all my clothes go? My shoes? Will there even be any good clothes stores?"
"I. Don't. Care. I can't live here with you two arguing all the time! This will be good for the two of you. Hopefully you will come back closer then ever!" She smiles, and I can see Juniper trying to argue back, but the look from mom is enough to stop her. Quickly, the room is filled with silence.
~
"Yeah, so I guess she will be coming. You know I can't argue with my mom."
"That's cool though. I'm sure East will be impressed."
"HAH! You think? I think if he finds out he's gonna cry. At least it's not for another month or so."
"True. Anyways, I gotta get going, my phones about to die."
"Kay. Bye Pres."
"Bye bye!"
I hang up, and stretch my arms before walking to my desk, and getting my homework out of my bag, which I decide to do the day before it's due in. My room is nice and quiet. Until it's not.
"GREYSON."
"WHAT? WHY ARE YOU YELLING?"
"DID YOU TAKE MY LIPGLOSS? YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PAYED FOR THAT."
"June, why would I take your lip-gloss?"
"BECAUSE YOU-"
"JUNIPER! STOP YELLING!" We both turn our heads in the direction of the living room downstairs, and wince as our dad calls from downstairs. He hates us yelling at this time, it distracts him from his favourite show.
"Because..." Juniper starts again, annoyed from being interrupted. "You love to ruin things for me!"
When she's mad, she waves her hands around a lot like that's going to help her prove her point. Whilst she's waving her hands around, I notice something in the palm of her left hand.
"Is that it?" I point, and she looks at her hand, then at me, then back to her hand, then again at me, and then turns around, and storms back to her room.
"What a dumbass."
I continue with my homework, getting it done before 10pm. I shower, and binge watch love island for hours.
I can't help but think, why aren't any of the members gay? Then I shake my head, as if to shake that thought away. I'm not gay, I don't need to worry about that. I lay in my head, staring at the ceiling. As much as I try to shake it way, I'm bothered by continuous thoughts about sexuality. I only know one gay person, and he said I was "basic", whatever that means anyway. I tell myself I'm into girls, still facing my ceiling. I've had girlfriends in the past, but barely any. Me and juniper are like polar opposites- it's like she has a new boyfriend every month or so. I cant even count the times she's brought a new guy home, and most of them are usually dicks. Me on the other hand, I've had about 2 or 3 girlfriends in my life and most of them were when I was like 10. It surprises a lot of people, but I haven't even had my first kiss yet, I'm saving it for someone special. The urge is too strong and I sigh as I open up my laptop. Hesitantly, like someone may be watching, I type in the search bar 'what percentage of people in the world are gay?' I scroll through all the different answers, some said 10% and some even said 3-4%. That can't be right can it? Why so little? Unsatisfied, I shut down the websites and close my laptop again, carefully placing it on my bedside table. Back to staring at the ceiling I guess. The right girl will come along someday, right?

- 1795 words.