9 - The Calm before the turbulence.

Greyson
As I'm picking up my bag to leave for school, I realise that I'm on time for once. I grab my car keys, and almost say goodbye to my parents, but then realising that its only my dad at home, and he's fast asleep. As soon as I say that, Juniper and my mum walk into the house, looking absolutely exhausted. No surprise there. They've been at the hospital since 3 this morning, its now 7, and Juniper hasn't slept one bit. They both walk straight past me and into bed. I'm sure that they'll tell me what happened when they get some rest.

I double check I have my hockey kit, and my skates, and everything else I need for school. I sigh, realising it's a Monday morning. Regardless, I get into my car, and drive the 10 minutes to school.

In maths class, I sit right at the back. I mean, yes I sit alone, but that's worth it for a back of the class window seat. Obviously, I'm not very talented when it comes to maths, so instead I scribble down random equations every few seconds and daydream for an hour straight. We leave for the tournament on Friday, and it's Monday. I recently learned the flight is gonna be 10 hours or more. The most I've ever flown is 2, to visit family in Chicago. I'm very clearly not mentally or physically prepared for this.
"Greyson?" My teacher calls out, and I realise everyone is staring. It feels like I'm in one of those cringe-y movies or books where the main character is daydreaming about their love interest, except I definitely would not be a main character, and I have no love interest. Shit. I still haven't answered.
"Greyson?? We know you can hear us." She calls out again, and the class starts laughing.
"Oh. What was the question?" I say, thinking that was a safe question to ask, but clearly it wasn't. The class erupts in laughter, and even the teacher joins in. I laugh along too, and she explains the question again, to which I answer completely wrong somehow, and the class (again) starts to cry of laughter.

"RIGHT EVERYONE!" My coach's voice booms across the rink, and everyone skates over to the edge to talk to him. "As we all know, we leave on Friday. However, instead of going straight into practicing, you have the rest of Friday, as well as Saturday and Sunday to go around, and relax. All we ask is for you to be in the hotel lobby Monday morning, and every morning following that." He begins to further explain that we will be practicing for just over an hour every 3 days, but we are expected to do light workouts in the gym on certain off days if we have the energy, which is pretty much what we do here anyway. He also explains that we call it a tournament, when really it's just a singular game against another team, to see where we need to improve. I internally question this, as why would we need to travel hours away, spend loads of money, and rent out hotel rooms and practice for hours on end if its just one game? And as if he read my mind, he answers: "We did all of this extensive work as this team has been one that wins against us for many years. I used to be in a hockey team when I was your age, and went against theirs multiple times. We lost every single time. So, because of this, I went all out to make sure we win this time!" I roll my eyes jokingly. We are doing all of this so our coach can get revenge. I internally shrug my shoulders, as personally, I don't mind getting revenge for him. It's gonna get me out of this city for a while, and I'm gonna do what I really enjoy whilst I'm there.

When I came home that day, It was like I had just murdered someone, and I was being questioned by a very angry policeman... If my mom was the police man, and me murdering someone is me not packing anything for the trip so far.

"GREYSON ELLIS, YOUNG MAN YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE." I drop my school bag and hockey bag at the front door, as my mom brushes herself off and walks towards me. Placing her hands on her hips, she begins to yell.

"You are so irresponsible! Your sister wasn't even formally invited, and yes it has been confirmed she can go, and she has packed before you have!" This continues for a while, and I bring my things upstairs and begin to finally pack up my things.

"So. It's Tuesday." Preston says the following day, as we get ready to leave school. "No parties today, so you wanna hang?"
"Sure. Get in my car. Wanna go get pizza?"
"Um Yeah? When would I ever say no to pizza?" He laughs, and I join in, and realise that Lia is walking over to us. I nudge Preston's arm, and his face goes bright red seeing her walk over.

"Hey, you're Preston right?" She asks, as she plays with her earrings, which seems to be huge pom-poms.
"Uh... yeah. That's me." He smiles, and fixes his ginger hair. I begin to wonder if I should leave, but honestly this conversation would be too funny to walk out on.
"So. Someone told me we slept together at the party... and I wanted you to know that I'm sorry it happened I guess." I've never really heard Lia's voice apart from now and her drunken state at the party, probably because she gets overshadowed by Quinn a lot.
"Oh... yeah I guess that did happen." He replies, and I shake my head. He is absolutely terrible at talking to girls.
"Uh... Is it true you like me?" She asks, and I try to hold back my laughter. I completely forgot I told her he likes her. I turn to look at Preston, who looks extremely embarrassed.
He doesn't reply.
"Well... I think that tells me everything." She says, and turns to walk away, but I'm not done embarrassing Preston yet.
"Lia? Before you go," I say, and she turns back around. "Wanna come get some food with us?" Preston turns to face me, and he looks infuriated, and completely flustered. Before he could say anything, Lia agrees to go, and we all get in my car.

Safe to say I have embarrassed that boy for life.

When we were just about to leave the restaurant, I open my car, whilst Lia and Preston exchange numbers. I climb inside, and sit at the drivers seat, and winding down the window I can hear the conversation.

"Pres, my friend is gonna pick me up, so I'll see you in school tomorrow." She kisses his cheek, and walks in the opposite direction. Preston gets in my car, and he squeals like he's a 7 year old girl.
"GREYSON ELLIS." He yells, and I laugh as I drive him to his house whilst he rambles about how he will pay me back one day.

Wednesday and Thursday go completely uneventful. On both days I come home from school and binge watch either Netflix or hockey matches.

Then Friday rolls around.

"GREYSON AND JUNIPER WAKE UP NOW!" I stir awake as my mom's voice rings through my head at 4 in the morning. I run down stairs, realising that the plane leaves at 5. My suitcase is extremely heavy, holding all my clothes I will wear, essentials, and my hockey stuff.

Eventually, I turn up at the airport, where I'm greeted by my team and my coach. Skipping the boring details, we get through security, and board the plane.

These next 2 months are going to be hectic.

1294 words.