C 31

We arrived at the private beach here in Maldives. My body felt like I've been tortured as I couldn't walk properly ouf ot tiredness for how many hours of flight from California. It was already dark when we reach our luxurious cottage, I wasn't be able to witness the shining sea and the white sands in the shore.

The resort crew assisted us and fix our stuffs before properly ask them to leave us for awhile as we were all very tired from the flight.

"We better take enough rest so we could enjoy the sea tomorrow," Luis happily said, the woman just nodded. 

"Goodnight to the both of you," says the woman and finally went to her room.

I glanced at the dark part of the sea across the window with its luxury white curtain hanging loosely before following Luis in our room. I didn't have much energy to clean myself as the tiredness mixed with sleepiness knocked me out to sleep.

_____

I was awaken when I felt that no one in my side. It was already 10 a.m. when I glanced at the clock in my bedside table. 

"Luis?" I called out and brush my palms on my face. It made me frown when I received no response.

"Babe?" I called again, still no response. I stood up and went to the bathroom to check on him, but he wasn't there.

In a complete worry, I went outside the bedroom only to see the short-haired woman cooking dish that smells so nice.

The woman noticed that I am looking for someone, "are you looking for my son?" she asked.

I turned to her, "yes. Have you seen him?" I asked in concern and wander my eyes outside the sunny morning.

"He left already," says the woman, making me ask again if I heard it right, "excuse me?"

"He told me that there's an emergency, something important-" I didn't let her continue her words as I ran back to our room.

No, no. He won't just leave me here with his mother. What the actual fuck is wrong with you, Luis? Do you know what you're doing?

I dialed his number and thankfully, he picked it up immediately, "babe-"

"Are you out of your mind, Luis?!" I frustratedly asked and brushed my hair with my fingers.

"Babe, babe- calm down," I heard him chuckle, making me feel more annoyed. 

"What?!" My hand is resting on my hip.

"It's all my plan-" I cut his off out of frustration, "plan what?!" I overreacted. 

"Listen to me first, okay?" He calmly said.

"Fine." I said defeatedly.

"I planned this vacation only for the both of you, I want you to be closer with my mom before we get married, babe." You really don't know what you are doing, bae.

"I think that maybe putting you two in one place can get you two closer to each other," he sustained, "it's only for five days..don't you like it?" I could sense his disappointment in his voice.

"If that's what you want, babe," I bit my fingers, " you didn't tell me so soon kasi." I took a seat in the bed.

"It wasn't a surprise anymore if I told you," he chuckled.

"Alright, your mom knew there's an emergency sa work mo. Do you have to lie that far, Mr. Luis Araneta?" I playfully rolled my eyes.

"Only white lies, and she did buy my reasons so I don't have to explain why I left there."

"I'll hang up the call na, bye!" I didn't wait him to respond as I still feel lightly mad and turn off my phone.

I sit in my bed for a minutes, thingking what possibly can happen if we stay in one place. Especially that we're alone to this small luxurious cottage. It's better to avoid than to regret later.

My urge to leave her behind and go back to California made me aggressively pulled my luggage and put it in the bed. As I was busy packing my stuffs, the door swung open.

"Leaving so soon?" The woman asked while her hand is on the doorknob, wearing his white blouse.

Her question made me feel annoyed for some reason, maybe she know something about his son's plan and she agree with it but Luis just keeping it from me.

"You know what?" I said annoyingly, ready to burst out.

"Watch your tone." she calmly but firmly refuted that made me shut for a second. She left the door open and went back to the kitchenette.

"Can you please don't use your right as the mother of Luis just to have a control of me?" I said and followed her in the kitchen.

"Who says I'm controlling you? And what's the purpose of being here with you if we're just gonna be civil to each other? I heard your conversation with my son, and the reason why we're here." The woman said in a cold tone.

"You can't just say whatever you want to say," I said in distress.

She folded her long sleeve up to the crook of her elbow and look at me, "if you don't want to be with me, just leave. The door is widely open. And pardon me if can't accompany you in the airport. The ambiance here is much more better than to mix myself with crowded people." She left me speechless.

I hate how I couldn't stand for myself when she was the one I'm talking to. Her authority is beyond to what I am expecting. I felt guilty thingking about how attractive she is when she project her character, her voice that still tender between her icy tone. Fuck. How could I get over about this woman? This is why I hate being alone with her.

"At least eat something before you leave," she uttered and removed her apron before leaving me behind.

Yeah, I decided that I don't want to leave yet. I'll take this as the opportunity to find an answer to my hanging questions after all these years.

I took a plate and eat tastefully with her spicy adobo. I was very hungry since last night, but I don't bother to eat as I was awfully tired. She was nowhere to be found after our little commotion.

____

It was already in the afternoon but I still couldn't see her. I feel guilty for accusing her to something she was completely unaware about.

I look outside the glistening ocean with its enticing white sands while some other tourists enjoying its view beside the shore. I felt lack of courage to go outside and enjoy the vacation knowing that she wasn't feel good because of our little fight.

In a distance, I saw a familiar figure walking closer to our cottage. It was her, finally.

I walk closer to her as soon as she reached the wooden door, "I am sorry for what I did earlier," I said and bowed my head. She didn't respond for a seconds and I could feel her eyes is on me.

"It's okay," she removed her beach sandals and touch the varnished floor with her pinkish feet, "I understand." she said before walking passed by me.

"What can I do to make it up to you?" I asked and rest my elbow to the kitchen island as she was drinking water.

"Nothing, I'm good," she simply said and smiled.

"I won't take that as a no," I grabbed her arm when she was about to leave again.

"What can you offer?" She asked and wander her eyes to my face that made me suddenly felt conscious. 

"I'll buy you a drink later at night? Or take you out for dinner?" I hesitantly said as I wasn't sure if it's a good idea.

"Sure. Buy me a drink." She agreed, making me release a relief sigh.

"That's a deal than a treat," I wink at her and smiled.

_____

To be continued...