Chapter One

A/N: Heeeyyy! This is actually my first fanfic so I'm gonna try my best if it's not very good I'm sorry please enjoy!!! :D

Dazai pov

I open the door to the Armed Detective Agency and step inside quietly. I didn't sleep great last night. I was kept up all night by... thoughts.

"Good morning, Dazai!" Atsushi grins at me from his desk, looking up from a pile of papers.

"Dazai, you're late." Kunikida glares at me from behind a stack of books and he furiously types on his computer. "You were supposed to be here 17 minutes and 32 seconds ago."

"We can't all follow the same perfect schedule as you, Kunikida." I say, slipping into my playful attitude that I use around everyone here. "I'll have you know that I actually met a very beautiful woman on the way here, and she agreed to do a double suicide with me!"

"You're lying."

"Maybe, maybe not." I wink at Kyouka and sit down at my desk. "So, do I have any assignments for today? Any maniacs threatening our peace?" Please say no. I'm so done with everything.

"Are you actually asking me if you have any work to do?" Kunikida asks. "Is this the same Dazai I know?"

"Come on Kunikida, is it a bad thing for Dazai to want to work sometimes?" Atsushi asks.

"I guess not." Kunikida says, looking thoughtful. I don't actually want to work. I just want to go to sleep and never wake up again.

"Dazai, I just got a call saying there's a gifted attacking people in the park." Great. "He looks mentally unstable, do you think you can go take care of it?" No.

"Ok, Tanizaki, you got it! See you all later!" I skip out the door and start heading towards the park. Once I get there, I see a man laughing crazily, small puffs of fire shooting out of his hands and scorching everything in sight. People are running away, screaming. Jeez, some people need to get a grip. I walk up behind him, and he seems to be too busy laughing to notice me, so I tap him on the shoulder. Suddenly his fire disappears. He whirls around to face me.

"Huh? What?" He asks, looking confused.

"Don't worry, I already called the police." I say, putting him in handcuffs. "They'll be here soon." He looks too confused to respond. Poor guy, he really must not be ok. I give him a quick pat on the head and saunter off back towards the agency just as the police are arriving.

I hate this world. I hate everything. I just wanna die sometimes. I take a deep breath before opening the door to the agency and walking inside, already changed into a different person, one who laughs and jokes around all the time.

"All taken care of!" I yell, bouncing up to Kunikida."

"Great," he says "now if you could also take care of-"

"Atsushi can do it, I'm busy, I have things to do." I say, plopping down on a sofa.

"THINGS?! WHAT THINGS?!" Kunikida roars, "YOU'RE SITTING DOWN RIGHT NOW, STARING OUT A WINDOW YOU'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING"

"Kunikida, really, it's fine." Atsushi says, trying to calm him down. "Whatever it is, I can take care of it, don't worry.

"NO, IT'S NOT FINE!!" Kunikida yells. "HE ALWAYS DOES THIS! WHY CAN'T HE JUST TAKE CARE OF HIS RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ONCE?!" I tune him out and stare out the window, wishing this day could just be over already.

...

"Kunikida, what time is it?" I ask, looking up from some papers that I may or may not have been doing.

"It's 5:32, why?" He asks. "Did you decide to finally do some work? We have more requests if you're up to it."

As he continues ranting about all of our requests and how I should actually do some work sometimes, my eyes drift back to the window and survey the Yokohama skyline. There it is. The Port Mafia Headquarters. One of the largest buildings in the city. Hundreds of feet tall, amazing view. If you jumped off of that you'd... A thought comes to me.

"I'm going out." I say, standing up. "Don't expect me back anytime soon."

"Oh, great!" Ranpo says. "Can you get me more snacks?" He holds up an empty chip bag.

"Sorry, no can do." I say, smiling a little bit. He frowns a little but goes back to the video game he was playing.

"I don't care where you're going, just don't be gone too long, ok?" Kunikida tells me.

"No promises." I smirk at him. I take one last glance at the room, Kunikida and Ranpo, Atsushi and Kyouka, Tanizaki and Naomi and Kenji and Yosano and the president's office. "Well then," I say, turning towards the door. "Bye."

"See you later!" Atsushi yells after me. I'm sorry Atsushi. I'm sorry I couldn't be the role model you needed. Kunikida, I'm sorry I always annoyed you. Everyone, I'm sorry for letting you down.

...

Sneaking into the Port Mafia building wasn't hard at all, considering I knew all of the shortcuts and where the guards were stationed already. I duck into a shadowy corner as Gin and Higuchi pass by, talking about something. I forgot how much I actually missed these people. I find myself thinking. Maybe I should have never even left the Port Mafia anyway. I was always destined to be a horrible person. All I've ever done is annoying everybody around me. I've never actually felt like I belonged anywhere. Well, there actually was one person who I left like I could be myself around... I shake my head. Your friendship with him is long gone. It's not like he'd ever want to talk to you again anyways. He knows the most out of anyone what a horrible person you are.

I sneak out of my shadowy corner and run up a few flights of stairs. There. I'm on the roof of the Port Mafia building. Below me, I see the lights of Yokohama and the beautiful view. The sun is just barely starting to go down, so it must be around 6:30. I take a few steps towards the edge of the building. The ground seems so far away. That's because it is, you idiot. Don't tell me you came all this way just to get scared. This is what you deserve. You're not a good person. I take a deep breath. Goodbye, Yokohama. Goodbye, Port Mafia. Goodbye, Armed Detective Agency. Odasaku, I'm sorry I couldn't live up to your expectations. Goodbye, Chuuya... I jump.

I can feel myself falling, the wind whipping my hair around my face, my bandages coming loose and flying around. I close my eyes. After a few seconds, I open them and realize I'm not getting any closer to the ground. In fact, I'm floating upwards. A red glow illuminates my body. My eyes widen. Could it be...? I float up to the top of the building and I'm set down a safe distance away from the edge. I'm face-to-face with a red head.

"YOU IDIOT! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?!"

1174 words