Chapter Twelve

Chuuya pov

The next day I was in and out of sleeping, everything a foggy blur. When I finally woke up it was early afternoon, around 1:20. I got out of bed only to be forced to get back into it by Kyouyou and then given a lecture on how I need to rest as much as possible and how I worked so hard and how proud she is of me.

Which, on one hand, is actually kind of sweet, but Jesus christ, woman, I'm fine can you leave me alone for like five seconds.

My memory was a little foggy, but I remember seeing Yuan and Shirase. God, I'm so glad that's over. Seeing them only made me feel worse about everything that happened between us, even if it was seven years ago. I thought I was over all that a long time ago.

And then there was that Akio guy, who was actually pretty hard to beat. He must've been training since the day he was born. God, I'm probably going to have to interrogate him. Gross. Can't they just get, like, Kyouyou or somebody to do it?

Oh, and then there was the fact that I kissed Dazai. Yup, that's a problem. Well, I probably just messed up because, like I was tired and confused and stuff. Yeah. It's not like I'm going to see him again for a while.

If anything, it's that asshole's fault. I mean, why the fuck is his face so fucking beautiful and why is he so good at kissing? Yeah. His fault. The next time I see him I'm gonna give him a good kick in the shins.

I silently slip out of the bed I'm in. I have to head home to shower and change into something else. I'm literally still in the clothes I was yesterday. I walk down the hall and out of the building, humming to myself. For some reason, I'm in a good mood.

That's unusual. I wonder why.

...

After saying a quick hello to Mackerel and feeding him, then showering and changing, I head back to the Port Mafia building and go to my office.

God, now I have to do all the work that I missed while I was asleep. What a pain. I sit down at the desk and start to shift through papers and things. I'm actually quite cheerful today, which is, like, really weird for me.

Someone knocks on the door.

"Come in." I call, not looking up from my papers. I hear someone close the door behind them and sit down in the seat across from me. I look up. It's Higuchi. She looks a little nervous, which is weird.

"Hey, Higuchi, can I help you with anything?" I ask.

She gives me a puzzled look. "You're in a good mood today. Usually you'd be gruffer about me interrupting your work."

"Pfft." I wave a hand at her. "What do you want?"

She shifts nervously in her seat. "Well-" she starts, "I mean-"

"For fucks sake just spit it out!" I groan, slapping my hands on the desk.

"Right!" She says. "Well, uh, you know like those, um, earpieces everyone had in during the mission yesterday night?"

"Yes?" I ask, looking back down at the papers on my desk.

She coughs. Jesus, what the hell is going on, why is she acting like Akutagawa? "Well, I could kind of hear everything you guys were saying, cause, you know, I was monitoring everything in case you guys got into trouble."

"Uh-huuuuh." I say, my stomach dropping. I think I know where this is going.

She looks really nervous now. "And, I, um, I kind of heard everything that you and Dazai said to each other and I'm really sorry!" She looks down at her lap.

Well, fuck. That goddamn asshole! I bet he fucking knew! I'm going to fucking kill him. We sit there for a moment before I break the awkward silence.

"Higuchi, you value your position in the mafia, right?" She looks up and nods once. "Well, if you don't want to lose it I recommend zipping your mouth." I bang my fist on the table and she flinches. "Don't. Tell. Anyone. What. You. Heard. Got it?" She nods again.

She hesitates for a second before leaning forward a bit. "Chuuya, I thought that you and Dazai hated each other though..."

I take my fist off of the desk and stare at the ceiling. "Honestly, I don't even know what's going on myself, Higuchi." When I look back at her, her eyes are sparkling.

"If you want, sir, maybe I could give you some... advice?" She asks, leaning all the way over the desk now, bubbling with excitement. "Like, on working out your feeli-"

I bang my fist down on the desk again before she can finish her sentence.

"Get. Out." I growl, standing up. My ability activates out of anger, and the room is filled with a reddish glow. Higuchi yelps before backing up.

"R-right, sorry, sir!" She says before bolting out the door. After a second she pokes her head back in. "By the way," she whispers, "You guys are my new OTP."

"GET. OUT." I say again, louder this time. She yelps again and dashes out for good this time, closing the door behind her. I collapse back into my chair and bury my face in my hands. I can feel how hot my face is.

I messed up really bad. Why the hell did I ever kiss that loser? Now everything is confusing and messed up, oh my god. That was so embarrassing, I totally forgot about those stupid earpieces!

Wait. This is Dazai's fault. He should have pushed me off of him the moment I collapsed into his arms. He should have stopped that conversation with me. I was tired and delirious, and he clearly took advantage of that. This is probably just another one of his stupid schemes. Yeah, this is all his fault.

Then... why does my heart speed up every time I look at him? And why the hell did I kiss him? Oh my god, I'm going to fucking kill that bastard the next time I see him.

I just need some fresh air right now. I'm still tired. I stand up and walk towards the stairs leading to the roof. I step out and feel the breeze against my skin and the sun on my face.

Ah, that feels nice. I'm actually enjoying the moment until I spot a certain brunette also sitting on the roof, his legs dangling over the edge.

"Oh my fucking god!" I yell, taking several angry steps towards him. He turns to me. "Why the hell are you there everywhere I go? I'm going to kill you!"

"Chuuya!" He says, beaming at me. 

1127 words

A/N: Ummm so I actually couldn't think of a good way to end this chapter without it going on for like way too long so sorry it kinda sucks