Chapter Four

Chuuya pov

I blink my eyes open slowly. I can hear birds chirping outside my window. I'd never let anyone know this, but I actually kinda like waking up to birds chirping. It makes me happy, just having a moment every morning where nothing is complicated and I can just lie there for a minute and enjoy life. Wait. Is it just me or is it kinda hot in here? I look down. Dazai is curled up against my side, hugging me. His head is resting on my chest. Wait. Dazai is curled up against my side, hugging me. His head is resting on my chest.

WHAT THE HELL??!! I can feel my face getting hot. What do I do? I slowly untangle myself from his arms, trying not to wake him up and make things even more awkward. It takes a minute, but I manage to get myself out of his grasp. I make my way into the kitchen. My face is on fire. Why the hell was he in my bed? He literally had a mattress to sleep on. I fix myself a bowl of cereal and sit down at the table. The memory of his arms wrapped around me comes back, and I feel my face heating up again. I bury my face in my hands before shoveling down the rest of my cereal and washing the dishes.

I hear some noises from the bedroom and Dazai emerges, rubbing his eyes and yawning. He looks up and me and I look down at the dishes, scrubbing furiously.

"Morning, Chuuya!" he says happily. He seems to be acting normal, so I don't think he knows that he fell asleep in my bed.

"Morning." I mumble back. "You can fix yourself breakfast. I have cereal and stuff." He gets himself a bowl of cereal and eats it while watching me feed Mackerel. I can feel his eyes on the back of my head.

"What?" I snap.

"Oh. Nothing." He looks away.

"Well, I have to be getting to work now anyways, so you have to leave now."

"Do you think I'm a good mentor?" He asks.

"What?"

"Well, I'm trying to be a good role model so I can teach Atsushi as best as I possibly can, but it's kinda hard sometimes, you know? So, do you think I'm a good mentor? For Atsushi?"

"The tiger kid?"

"Yeah."

"Well, first off, if you want to be a good role model you can't go trying to kill yourself, ok?" He winces. "Second, I think you'll do just fine, you just have to look out for him and actually be responsible sometimes."

"Ok. Thanks, Chuuya."

"Whatever. You have to leave now. And you can't tell anyone you were here, considering the fact that our organizations are technically enemies."

"You got it boss!" He says, saluting me.

"Don't call me boss." I growl back. I go into the bathroom and change into my clothes and when I come out he's also dressed again. We exit the apartment and I lock the door behind us.

"Sooooo, whatcha doin' today?" He asks.

"Why do you care?"

"I don't."

"Well, then what was the point in asking?" We reach the lobby of the apartment building and I turn to him. "Remember no one can know you were here, got it? If I found out you told someone I'm personally coming to the agency and destroying it and you as well."

"Ok, ok I know. Bye, slug." I snort and walk out the door towards my car, turning on the engine and hopping inside.

...

I reach the Port Mafia building and head upstairs to my office, receiving several nods from some guards. I reach my office, a few floors below the top of the building. It's not a large room, it has a desk and a few chairs scattered around, and a bookshelf. The floor-to-ceiling windows give me a nice view of Yokohama. I sit down at my desk and look through some papers that have been placed there. Boring.

My mind drifts to waking up this morning and finding Dazai sleeping next to me, his arms around me. It was kind of... nice? Dammit, Dazai. Why'd you have to go and make everything so fucking complicated. I bang my fist on my desk. I should've just let you jump. I stop myself. No. I would never- I-

Someone knocks on my door, startling me out of my thoughts and causing me to jump. I compose myself before telling them to come in. It's Tachihara.

"Boss wants to meet with all of us, c'mon."

"All of us? Why?"

"I don't know, but c'mon, I don't want us to be the last ones there." I sigh before getting up from my desk and following him out the door. We ride the elevator up to the top floor and exit into the hallway in front of his office. Two guards examine us and confirm that we have permission to enter before letting us in. Inside the room, Mori sits at his desk while Elise draws something on a piece of paper on the floor. Akutagawa, Higuchi, Gin, Hirotsu, Kajii and Kyouyou are all already gathered around Mori's desk. We're the last ones to arrive.

"Thank you all for coming." Mori grins at us. We have a very urgent matter at hand that we need to discuss. How important you may ask? Well, you're all gathered here and this matter is actually quite personal so I think you all deserve to know what's going on." He takes a breath. "I'm being blackmailed."

"What?" yells Higuchi. "By who?!"

"Calm down, Higuchi." Mori says, waving his hand at her. "Someone has been emailing me, threatening to reveal quite personal information about myself to the public if I don't give them some of the mafia's most guarded secrets."

"What are they threatening to reveal?" Kyouyou asks calmly.

"Well, the information they're threatening to send out is actually a deep secret only I and one other person know about, and it's very personal, so I'd prefer not to tell you." There are surprised mumbles. I frown.

"Well, we need to know who's blackmailing you so we can track them down and beat them up!" I say. "Mori, do you know who it is?"

"I'm happy to help dispose of whoever this person is." Akutagawa adds. Gin nods also. Mori smiles, and he looks straight at me.

"The person who is blackmailing me... is none other than Dazai Osamu."

1056 words