Chapter Eleven

Dazai pov

When I blink open my eyes, I'm propped up on one of the couches in the agency. Soft light is filtering through the blinds. It must be late morning. I can hear hushed chatter coming from beyond where I'm sitting. My head is groggy, and my limbs are a little numb. I sit up, wincing a little at the sharp pain that shoots through me.

Footsteps approach, and Atsushi pokes his head out from behind one of the screens around the area. His eyes light up when he sees me awake.

"Guys, he's awake!" He yells, excitedly plopping himself down on the couch across from me. Most of the other members of the agency appear in the sitting area too, talking.

"Dazai, how are you feeling? Do you need any medical assistance?" Yosano asks, inspecting me for potential wounds.

"Dazai, my cows missed you!" Kenji cries.

"Dazai, will you buy me snacks?" Ranpo asks.

"Dazai, I baked you this cake." Kyouka says softly from a corner, holding up a blob that kind of resembles a cake maybe?

"Owww my heeaaaad." I groan. It doesn't actually hurt, I just need them all to shut up for a minute so I can know what just even happened and why I'm here because I don't remember a goddamn thing.

"Everyone, quiet down!" Kunikida yells, pushing everyone aside. "You're giving Dazai a headache!"

"You know, you're the one who's being the loudest." Tanizaki points out.

Kunikida flushes bright pink and mumbles something before sitting down next to Atsushi on the couch.

"Great, now that you all are done squabbling, can somebody please tell me what is going on and why I'm here and why it hurts when I move?" I complain.

Kunikida raises an eyebrow at me. "You seriously don't remember anything?" He asks.

I shake my head.

"I remember going into the building and fighting some members of the Sheep, including their boss and Chuuya's former friends, but not much after that." I say.

"Oh!" Atsushi says. "Well, we started to get worried after a while when you guys weren't coming out, so we went into the hideout. After following the map, we came to a big cavern with a lot of debris and stuff everywhere. There was a big crater on the floor and some guy in a Sheep jacket was lying there. He was bleeding a lot. Oh, and you and Chuuya were collapsed against a wall, on top of each other."

Ah. I remember now. The memories of last night come flooding back, Shirase and Yuan, Akio nearly killing me, Chuuya defeating him with corruption, the two of us against the wall, his lips pressing into mine...

I feel my face start to heat up as I remember the corny things I said to him. Wait. Why am I worrying about that. He kissed me. He freaking kissed me! I don't know if I want to do a victory lap or throw myself out the window right now.

"Dazai, are you blushing?" Atsushi tilts his head at me.

"Whaaat hahahah of course not. Pfft, why would I be blushing?" I say nervously. I glance around. Atsushi, Kenji and Kyouka all look a little confused, Kunikida looks angry, Yosano is smirking at me, Tanizaki is staring off into space, and Ranpo is staring at me.

Oh, he has his glasses on.

He looks at me for a second before a slow smile spreads across his face and he turns and walks away. I feel my blush intensify. Welp, I'm dead. He totally knows.

"Ranpo." I smile sweetly at him. "I'll buy you all the snacks you can eat, ok?" His smile grows even bigger than I think should be possible before he winks and walks out of the room.

"What was all that about?" Atsushi asks, still confused.

"Whaaat hahah nothing." I laugh, swatting at him.

Kunikida glares at me. "Right, well we along with some members of the Port Mafia did a full sweep of the building, and found a lot of members of the Sheep in training, lots of supplies, and a boy and a girl hiding in a closet. They looked pretty scared, and kept yelling about Chuuya being a 'literal demon' and about how 'the Sheep aren't done yet, we're amazing just you wait'". He uses air quotes for both of these statements.

I snort. Poor Shirase and Yuan.

"Weeell," Yosano starts, taking a few steps towards me. "If you guys are done here, I think I heard Dazai say he was in pain? I can fix you right up, you know." She gives me her psychopathic grin and I shiver.

"You know, actually, there's a hospital not too far from here, hahaha, I'll just go there..." I scoot away from her as much as the couch will permit me to.

"Whatever do you mean?" She asks, still grinning. "I can fix you up way faster than any hospital."

Without waiting for a response, she quickly grabs my arm before I can dodge and pulls me towards her office/hospital room/torture chamber, despite my best efforts. That woman is surprisingly strong.

...

About fifteen minutes later, I'm sitting at my desk, all traces of any pain completely gone. I shudder. I would've preferred a hospital, honestly.

Kunikida walks up to me.

"Dazai, the Port Mafia has all the members of the Sheep we managed to capture in custody, and they have determined that they were, in fact, the ones who blackmailed our two organizations. They did it for power. Of course, they failed." He frowns. "Thank you for helping us capture them, Yokohama will be safe for another day."

"You take things too seriously." I whine. It's just another job. I lay my head on my desk and close my eyes. I hear Kunikida make a humphing noise.

My brain wanders. I find myself thinking about him.

"I care so much, Dazai." He said.

"I wish you'd never left. And I wish we could spend more time together."

I remember his lips against mine, his hands combing through my hair. I remember feeling like I never wanted to let go. I could have stayed there forever. I wish we could have stayed like that forever. I want to spend all my time with him. I wish I could. I- dammit, why am I thinking about him? We're supposed to be enemies! Our organizations hate each other!

I stand up suddenly, blushing. I have to get out of here. This is too confusing.

Ranpo is staring at me again.

"I- I'm gonna go get you some snacks, Ranpo!" I shout, before bolting for the door.

1095 words