Chapter Eight

Akutagawa and I arrive at the Armed Detective Agency a few minutes before 5:30. Dazai, tiger boy, illusion boy and ugly glasses man are already waiting outside, next to a van. Something about that glasses man annoys me but I can't figure out what it is. I think back to Dazai touching his arm yesterday. Am I... jealous? Pfft, Chuuya Nakahara doesn't get jealous. I don't care if they're friends, or if they're more than friends, or... yeah, I don't care. I give ugly glasses man the best glare I can. There. Good.

"Ok, everybody get in the van." ugly glasses man says.

We all pile in. The van has the driver and passenger's seat, two seats in the middle, and three in the back. Glasses man gets in the driver's seat, and Dazai gets in the passenger's seat. Illusion boy and I sit in the middle, and tiger boy and Akutagawa get stuck in the back, much to Akutagawa's dismay. Everyone puts on their seatbelts except me. Seatbelts are pointless. If we get in a car crash I can just use my ability. The car starts and we pull away from the Agency.

"The hideout is actually kinda far away, so this drive is gonna take a little over an hour." Ugly glasses man says. "The hideout is inside of a hollowed-out mountain, a little ways away from the city. Just relax until we get there. The road stops at a certain point and you'll have to walk through forest for about 10 minutes. I'll be waiting to bring you back in the car. I think Port Mafia members will also be arriving to help with the cleanup and secure the prisoners that you manage to catch."

"Ok!" tiger boy says brightly. There is an awkward silence. God, I hate this. "So um, like, do you guys wanna do anything?" tiger boy asks nervously.

"What are we going to do in a car?" Akutagawa asks, clearly pissed.

"We could play a game or something!" tiger boy says. "What are good games to play in the car?" He picks up his phone and starts typing.

"How about we play the quiet game?" Akutagawa says, scowling. "You know, like when you don't talk and just shut up for once?"

"Now, now, Akutagawa, let's be nice." Dazai chides from the front seat.

"Sorry..." Akutagwa says, looking down.

"I know!" Dazai turns around in his seat. "Let's play I spy!" Akutagawa groans and I roll my eyes but he ignores us both. "I'll go first! I spy with my little eye... something small!"

"A water bottle?" tiger boy asks. He looks around the car. "A mirror? A notebook? A paper clip? A hat? A phone charger? A sweatshirt?" Dazai answers no to all of them and tiger boy groans in frustration. "What exactly qualifies as small? I've guessed all of the small objects in this car I can think of!"

"What if... it's not an object?" Dazai smirks. It takes me a second. This asshole. I jump up, hitting my head on the ceiling of the van and lunge for Dazai, glowing red from the activation of my ability.

"WHAT THE HELL?! I'M GONNA THROW YOU OUT OF THE CAR WINDOW!!" I scream, grabbing his shirt.

"Heeeyyyy, don't hateeee!" He whines, holding his hands up defensively. He touches my arm and the red glow disappears. "Plus, you can't throw me out of the car window if your ability doesn't work on me." He beams at me and I sit back in my seat with a grumble, choosing to stare out the window and ignore everyone for the rest of the ride.

...

"We're here." Ugly glasses man says. "Make sure to put in your earpieces so you can communicate with Higuchi. See you later, then." The five of us pile out of the car. I look around. We're on the side of a road, surrounded by forest.

"We should go that way." Dazai says, looking at his phone and pointing in a direction away from the road. He starts walking and we all follow him. After what feels like forever but was probably only about 10 minutes, we reach a break in the forest. We all crouch in the shadows and look around.

About 30 yards away is the base of a mountain, tall and looming over the night sky. There is a small doorway carved into the mountain, and several guards stand outside of it, all relatively young. They look like they're maybe in their 20s. They're talking and messing around. I hear Higuchi's voice from my earpiece.

"Alright, please move forward. Take out the guards and enter the hideout. And Tanizaki, take care of the security cameras." Tanizaki nods silently and mumbles

"Light snow." Everything looks the same from where I'm crouching, but tiger boy and Akutagawa run into the clearing and the guards don't seem to notice. A few seconds later, the world seems to flicker and tiger boy and Akutagawa are standing over a pile of guards.

"All clear." Tiger boy says into his earpiece.

"Good." I hear Higuchi's voice again. "Tanizaki, keep control over the cameras. Chuuya and Dazai, please enter the hideout and make your way to its center, where the Sheep's boss should be, according to Ranpo." I shudder at the mention of the Sheep.

Dazai and I stand up and jog towards the entrance. We tug the door open and slip inside, closing it behind us. We're in a dimly lit tunnel. We proceed slowly. The tunnel seems to branch off to separate tunnels and rooms. Dazai looks at his phone, directing us certain ways. After a minute or two, a patrol of armed young men come around a bend. They see us and immediately open fire. Dazai ducks behind me. I activate my ability and deflect the bullets back at them, and then fling them against the wall with a satisfying crunch. There are only about 12 or so.

"Is that all they've got?" I ask, flexing my fingers.

"Nothing the amazing Chuuya Nakahara couldn't handle." Dazai rolls his eyes. I ignore him and we continue walking. We pass a few more patrols, which I dispose of easily. After a few more turns, we emerge into a large, hollowed-out cavern. The ceiling is high, and there are beams at the top supporting the cavern, presumably so it doesn't collapse on itself. The floor has rows of what looks like training equipment neatly arranged. Dazai looks at the ceiling.

"Those beams would be good to hang yourself from." He deapans. I whirl towards him.

"What? Why the fuck would you say that?!"

"I'm just pointing it out." He shrugs. Something in me snaps, and I find myself grabbing his shoulders and staring straight into his eyes.

"Never say anything like that ever again." I growl. "Suicide isn't a funny thing. There are actually people who care about you out there!" I feel myself getting worked up, for some reason. "You know-"

"Chuuya? Is that Chuuya?" Comes a voice from across the cavern. Oh shit. That voice. I know that voice. It's seven years older but still the same.

I turn slowly towards the other end of the cavern, where two figures emerge from a small doorway, a girl with pink hair and a boy with white hair. The girl tugs on the boy's sleeve.

"Shirase, I think that's Chuuya."

Oh shit. 

1221 words

A/N: Okkk in case anybody forgot Shirase and Yuan are the two members of the Sheep that actually show up in the anime, they show up during Dazai and Chuuya's 15 arc, season 3 episode 27 I think. In episode 28 i think Shirase stabs chuuya literally in the gut and the sheep decides to betray him because they think he left them for the port mafia yeah and then dazai helps chuuya escape if he agrees to join the port mafia and they attack the organization the sheep teamed up with and all that anyways, the point is shirase and yuan are back now :)