Chapter 6: Best Fronds

Days ago, back on earth. Anne was in the thrift store staring at the music box. "Okay Anne you can do this." she said steeling herself for what she was about to do. She looked at the cashier to see the old woman was asleep. She grabbed the music box but was hesitant to go any further. She looked at her friends for encouragement, Sasha was giving her two thumbs up trying to inspire her to keep going. Marcy was smiling while her hands were in her hoodie as if to say, so far so good. Drake pulled up his hood and was frowning at her seemingly with disappointment for her hesitation. She put the music box in her backpack and quickly walked out of the store. Tension rose with every step she took until she was outside.

Everything went by so quickly. She found herself in a small park where she used to play with her best friends. She pulled open the music box revealing a bright light that seemingly engulfed the entire world.

"Ahh!" Anne screamed as she awoke. "Guys! I just had the craziest dream! I was trapped in a world of frog pe... oh." she looked to her left and saw Sprig, Hop Pop and Polly. Sprig was excited to see her, Hop Pop was observing her silently and Polly was in a bucket holding a kitchen roller.

Sprig came forward. "Hey Anne! Sleep good?"

Hop Pop pulled Sprig behind him. "Careful boy it could be hungry!"

"For your guts!" Polly hopped forward wielding her kitchen roller like a weapon.

"Dude, relax. I am not going to eat something that clearly doesn't bathe." Anne said referring to Hop Pop.

There were a bunch of flies gathered around him. His tongue flew out, catching one of them and eating it. "Fair point."

"See, told you it was harmless." Sprig said calming down the room.

"Hmph! For now!" Hop Pop said. He and Polly went up the stairs knowing there was no immediate danger.

Polly jumped out of her bucket. "Just give me an excuse to use ol Dorris here." Polly said threateningly referring to her kitchen roller. Then she hopped up the stairs.

"I think the little one wants to kill me."

Sprig didn't seem to care too much. "Yep! So, you must be so excited to be trapped in another world. Very jealous." he leaned towards Anne but lost his balance causing him to land on his back.

"It's not all that... I miss my home. My stuff. Especially..." Anne grabbed a polaroid with herself, Drake, Sasha and Marcy on it. "My friends..." she handed Sprig the photo. "Without them, I just feel kind of lost. You know?"

"Well then, why don't I be your friend in the meantime?" Sprig suggested.

"You?" Anne never thought she would make a friend in this strange land. It was rather hard to believe.

"Me!" Sprig did a pose.

"You!" Anne said still in disbelief.

Sprig tossed the photo back to Anne. "Come on! It'll be fun! What did you do together?"

"Everything! Marathon, dumb TV shows, drink boba till we vomited, hung out at the beach." Anne listed the various activities she would do with her friends. Marcy always had a weird selection of TV shows to watch.

Sprig snapped his fingers. "Oh, we've got a lake. Would going there with me make you feel less homesick?"

Was this that same lake Drake was taking her to? Anne held up the photo, comparing it to Sprig. He did a few playful poses. To Anne, he seemed like a good kid, what harm could there be in hanging out with him. "I like your moxie, frog child. Let's do it!"

Anne grabbed some supplies from her backpack. She brushed her teeth and put on sunblock lotion. Then she put on a swimsuit. When she was ready, she met Sprig at the front door.