Chapter 14: Frog Revolution

Drake and Nyx followed the road hoping to reach the next town. He had no idea where he and Nyx had emerged from but hopefully it wasn't too far away. Drake was sure he would find another town if he just kept following one of the roads. If he regretted not taking a picture of the map, he certainly had plenty of time to beat himself up about it.

Something Drake noted was the lack of traffic. He was sure he would run into someone by now. Probably travelers but nobody was around for some reason. He pulled out his phone and scrolled through images of his life back on Earth. He looked at an image of his father, Henry Cohen wearing his old police uniform.

Drake had spent a lot of time trying to repress memories of his late father, mainly due to the pain his death had caused in the family. Lately, he had been remembering him much more vividly than he had been for years. Those memories revolved around the principles his father held. His father would certainly be ashamed if he saw what Drake had done throughout his time in Amphibia. Drake had killed people, robbed the dead. Things he never thought he would do. Was it all necessary in the name of survival? Perhaps, but that wasn't much of a consolation. Drake hadn't exactly been a paragon of virtue.

He stared at the image for a bit before deciding to close the phone again. "Nyx... do you have a family?" Drake asked. Neither of them stopping.

Nyx nodded her head.

"Oh, I see... do you know where they are now?"

Nyx shook her head.

"Do you want to go look for them? I mean, my friends are probably not going anywhere. I don't expect to find anymore leads especially not after last time. Why don't we take a break on that. We can go find your family. Get you home safe and sound. I can take it from here. What do you think?" Drake suggested.

Nyx shook her head once more.

"What do you mean? You don't want to look for them? Why?"

Nyx started hissing at Drake. None of it was understandable but at least she didn't seem angry or sad. In fact, Drake's best guess at Nyx's mood was one of hope. It was hard to tell from just unintelligible hissing noises.

Drake had completely forgotten the communication barrier. He needed to frame it as a yes or no question. "I'm guessing your family is probably out there looking for you. Would you agree?"

Nyx nodded her head.

"Well, I'm glad you have a family that loves you." Drake replied with a bit of sadness and jealousy.

Nyx stopped and looked at him inquisitively. She started hissing at him again.

Although she was probably asking him something, but Drake didn't really want to answer. "Look, I don't know what you're saying. Let's just keep going. Forget I said anything."

Nyx stopped hissing and the duo continued their journey. It didn't take long for them to reach another town. This one was called Bog Bottom. The town itself wasn't too different from Swamp Shire. It had various buildings and shops one would expect. Interestingly, this one didn't have a wall surrounding the town itself either. It was daytime, so the streets were much livelier than what Drake had experienced at Swamp Shire.

"Nyx do you think we should go into another town? I mean, last time that happened, I got into a massive barfight, then we got stuck underground."

Nyx shook her head.

"Why? You think I can get more information there?"

Nyx thought for a moment. She seemed to be trying to come up with an answer he would understand. Instead of giving a straightforward answer. Nyx started walking toward the town. Seems like she would be taking the lead. Here we go again. Drake thought as he adjusted his cloak.