Chapter 70: A Civilization Under the Sea

Deep below the waves there was very little light from the sun. It would have been perpetually dark if not for the lights inside a massive underwater coral palace.

Within one room Drake found himself awaking on a soft bed. There were vines wrapped around his shoulder and his chest, like bandages. He looked around the room, it was dimly lit but still bright enough to see his surroundings clearly. Either that or his eyes had already adjusted to the darkness.

All Drake's weapons and items were sitting on a nearby table. He quickly got out of bed and rummaged through the waterproof bags, trying to find the one important item. "The music box, it's gone!" Drake said to himself with rising panic as he searched. Then he noticed a piece of paper written down.

Dear Drake,

If you're reading this, then it's great to know you're back on your feet. When we found you, it certainly didn't look good, but I knew you would make it. I'd like to see you as soon as possible, I'm most likely in the throne room. Please stay in this room, someone should come along to check on you eventually.

Hope you're feeling better.

Nyx

A few moments later, a large set of double doors opened, revealing a snapdragon who stepped into the room. The snapdragon stared at Drake but wasn't showing any signs of aggression. Then it pointed its head toward the hallway, motioning for Drake to follow as it left the room.

Drake wasn't sure what else he could do at that moment, so he followed the snapdragon without his equipment. The snapdragon led him through the dimly lit hallways, eventually entering a large circular chamber. Within the chamber was a series of platforms high above the room, supported by thick coral columns. The room seemed to be designed in a way so anyone speaking would have their voice echo, making it louder than it actually was. At the other end of the room was a large platform that was around chest high for him. On that platform sat a throne that had a snapdragon wearing a crown occupying it.

Drake recognized the snapdragon on the throne. "Nyx!" he stepped forward, but his guide got between him and the platform, stopping him. Clearly, they didn't want him going up there. Drake took a few steps backwards in acknowledgement. "Alright, understood, I'm back up."

There were more occupants in the throne room. A majority were snapdragons, but a few other creatures caught Drake's eye. Giant vultures occupied the platforms above, and a single grubhog with a pink butterfly face paint sitting on one of the vultures.

The grubhog oinked and squealed at the sight of Drake.

All the vultures turned their attention towards Drake. He felt a wave of hatred directed at him.

One of the vultures squawked and flew down towards him. It stopped right next to him with its wings stretched to make itself look bigger as a warning. Drake was startled by this display and took a few steps back.

Nyx hissed in response. She frilled the fins on her face threateningly in the direction of the grubhog.

The grubhog squealed in disapproval.

More snapdragons frilled their fins with the vultures stretching their wings in response. Drake could feel the tension in the air. It looked like violence might break out, but he wasn't sure what he could do.

Nyx stood up from the throne and hissed loudly. Everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and backed down.

The grubhog oinked. Slowly but surely, all the snapdragons and vultures left.

Nyx didn't leave. She descended from the throne and jumped off the platform to see Drake. The snapdragon was about the size of a lion but being on all fours made her shorter in comparison to the human boy. Nyx stopped right in front of him and sniffed before nuzzling him with her nose.