Chapter 40: A Sleepover to End All Sleepovers

Lady Olivia guided the guests through the halls of the castle. They were young and full of energy but at the moment, they seem to be on their best behavior. She stopped at one door and knocked.

A human answered the door and Lady Olivia stepped inside. "Good evening, Master Marcy. Anne Boonchuy, Drake Cohen and the Plantars have arrived for your-"

"Sleepover!" the four kids yelled as they charged in and began rampaging in Marcy's room.

Lady Olivia sighed. "Sleepover... if anyone needs me, I'll be in the kitchen drinking... juice."

Anne jumped at Marcy, the two embracing. "Whoo! This is gonna be..."

"Awesome!" Marcy finished.

"It's the perfect way to spend the night before we hear from the king." Sprig said.

"I wonder what he learned about the music box." Anne said.

Marcy narrowed her eyes in excitement. "I don't want to give anything away, but it's gonna be pretty cool."

Hop Pop stood at the door. "Okay, kids, I'll be back in the morning for our meeting with the king. You enjoy yourselves. I'm off to spend some much-needed me time. And by me, I mean a full body-"

Sprig and Polly slammed the door shut before he could finish. "Woo-hoo! Me and Sprig's first sleepover!"

"Better make it a good one. These will be formative memories." Sprig added.

"Whoa. I just realized, we never done a sleepover without Sasha." Anne said.

Marcy scratched the back of her head. "Oh, you're right. You think we can pull this off? Sasha's the sleepover queen, not us."

"Yeah... she always knew how to get it started. It's gonna be pretty weird to do this without her." Drake agreed.

Anne waved her hand. "Pfft. Who says there has to be just one queen?"

"Everyone. That's sort of how the whole system works, Anne." Marcy answered.

"The three of us have done tons of sleepovers. We know everything about them." Anne said.

"Pajamas, junk food and gossip galore. Pillow fights, movies and tearing up the dance floor. And listen up 'cause this I won't repeat, never ever go to sleep." the three human teens said in unison.

"Sensing some missing context here." Sprig said as he observed the three teens.

"Oh, sorry. Sasha always said falling asleep early means a total failure. A true sleepover goes till sunrise." Marcy explained.

"Enough setup. Let's get our sleepover on, baby." Anne yelled earning a cheer from the rest of the room.

The kids got together and began doing various activities all around the castle. Whether it was sledding on the staircase or dressing up in random pieces of clothing in the king's closet. This annoyed Lady Olivia to no end. At the end of their activities, the kids all laid down on top of their sleeping bags.

Polly yawned. "That was awesome."

"Best sleepover ever." Sprig agreed.

"See, told you we could pull off an awesome sleepover without Sasha." Anne said.

"It still feels a little weird to be doing this without her." Drake said.

Anne ignored him. "What time is it anyway? 5 a.m.? 6 a.m.?"

Marcy pulled out her phone. "Uh, only 9 p.m.?"

"What?" Anne got up.

"That early?" Sprig said with his eyes closed.