Chapter 13: Step Forward

Ultra Magnus stepped into the main room, his optics still slightly dull from disturbed recharge. His processor had no yet gotten used to adequate rest after running so long on little sleep and survivor's guilt. He was embarrassed to admit that the memory purges he'd thought he'd been done with had started back up again after finding Alias broken in that tent.

Speaking of the girl, Magnus glanced at the door to Fowler's old office and frowned. It was wide open, and the light was on. As he walked closer, there was a flash of silver and he turned to see Alias standing across the room, her back turned toward him as she leaned against the railing. Her chin was resting on the bar and the scars on her body were painfully clear with the white tank top she wore over green cargo pants.

"What do you think would have happened," Alias asked softly, "if we had never met?"

Magnus pursed his derma and moved closer, "I am not one to believe in mystical forces, but I do believe th-"

Alias snorted loudly and looked back at him, "You don't believe in mystical forces after the shit we went through? I got possessed by a blue glowy guy and attacked a metal dragon."

"That's not mystical." Magnus crossed his arms, "Primus and Unicron are both very real. While they are powerful, unlike some, I would not consider them gods."

Alias smiled and lifted her chin from the bar to look at Magnus. There was a moment of silence and then he removed a section of the railing to sit next to her.

"I apologize for the interrogation yesterday," Magnus told her quietly.

Alias shook her head, "It's my fault. I should have been honest with you from the beginning. I understand if you're frustrated."

Magnus looked at her sharply, surprise flickering across his features.

"What?"

"I- it's just..."

Magnus frowned. Everything about Alias just seemed so wrong. Apologizing? Sincerely? It wasn't like her. He remembered her firey spirit and irritating attitude, but this?

It scared him.

"It's just that I don't think you should feel sorry at all," Magnus replied slowly, carefully choosing his next words and watching her closely. "You went through so much, and I understand if you need time to deal with it on your own."

"Wow, that's..." Alias frowned. "You changed, Magnus."

"Me?" Ultra Magnus looked at her in confusion. "Are you sure you do not have us mistaken?"

"Apologies and understanding conversations?" Alias unhappily lowered her head back to the bar. "I thought if we ever saw each other again, you'd be ordering me around and being a snarky piss ant."

Magnus scowled, "I am still a snarky piss ant."

"What?"

Alias's head snapped up and she started laughing, a genuine, nice laugh. Magnus looked at her and he could practically feel his spark flickering joyfully. Alias finished her bout of laughter and looked at him with an expression that knocked Magnus back into reality.

Clearing his throat, Magnus shifted uncomfortable under her stare, "Perhaps I do not know what a snarky piss ant is, but I assumed from your connotations that it was a compliment."

"You can take it as a compliment." Alias grinned, "I miss the old days. You and I never really got to let our rivalry flourish without divine intervention."

Magnus dipped his helm in agreeance, "That is accurate."

With a small yawn, Alias leaned over, her small warm body pressing against his leg. His shoulders imperceptibly tensed in discomfort. She didn't seem to notice, a faraway look growing in her eyes as she sighed.