Chapter 16: Flight

It was liberating. The feeling of the atmosphere and gravity against you, beaten only by sheer willpower and skill. Alias's wings sliced through the clouds, ripping through the barriers of physics and taking her higher, higher, and higher.

Alias curled her wings around her body protectively and plummeted down headfirst. She couldn't see the ground through the opaque metal feathers, but she had a sense for the landscape. Something deep inside of her whispered to her soul, telling her all she needed to know, and she unfurled the gleaming metal, catching herself. The strain stung her newly repaired joints, but Alias was a professional. Her wings tilted, letting her body glide on invisible strings.

She aimed for the blue bot watching her from the ground and pulled back her wings enough to slow her down for the landing. She hit his shoulder and stood, teeth flashing in a grin, hair windblown and wild.

"Ratchet said not to do anything strenuous," Magnus scowled. "This was supposed to be a test flight."

"I'd say I passed with flying colors," Alias replied.

"That's not the point."

She smiled. "Well, you admitted it, at least."

"Inadvertently and implied," Magnus frowned at her. "You twist my words."

Alias shrugged. "Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

He pinched the spot between his optics and sighed. "I plan on informing Ratchet of your departure from our planned outing."

"Okay, fine," Alias hummed. "But since I've already broken Ratchet's rules, can't we break a few more?"

"You want to make a bad situation worse?"

"I'm already in trouble, I might as well take advantage of it."

Magnus turned to look at her. "Why in Primus's name are you like this?"

Alias flexed her wings. "It's been a while since I was last able to fly... fly without pain, at least. It's a feeling I really miss and this is my opportunity to have it again, if not just for a little while."

Magnus looked away. "If you damage your wings now, it will take even longer for you to heal. If you waited, you could be flying around undisturbed as often as you please."

"Yeah..." Alias looked down. "Surprisingly, you make a somewhat valid point."

"I do not wish to inhibit your fun. Perhaps there is another way to make up for the loss of your flight capabilities?"

Alias thought for a moment before a malicious grin spread across her face. Magnus almost immediately retracted his decision to indulge her.

"Don't go back to base."

He frowned. "Why?"

"Let's just hang out there, with all the nature and trees, and soak it in. Get some meditation in. I'm sure Ratchet would approve."

"Ratchet wanted us back within ten minutes."

"Well," Alias's eyes sparkled mischievously. "We don't have to listen to him."

"Yes, we do."

Alias stood up and stretched her wings. "Maybe I should just fly off and leave you to go to base on your own."

"You're manipulating me. The answer is no."

"You could chase me around the forest or take a few minutes to sit back and relax. The choice is yours."

Magnus scowled. "Ratchet, I'm requesting a groundbridge."

"Copy."

Alias groaned. "You have the most enormous stick up your aft."