Smallest of Talks

Octavia blinked, either shocked by his question or upset that he had asked. "My, what?"

Demmy's face felt hot, maybe he shouldn't have asked that question... "I just... was trying to break the quiet." He shuffled his feet over the car's lush carpet. "I-I'll stop talking." Cackle patted his master's hand in reassurance. 

"FaQ dad." She said, "I listen to them the most at least," Octavia's eyes didn't seem as broad as before. "What's yours?"

"Um, I found an indie band called Cresent CCillers," Demmy said, he pulled his phone out and scrolled through his music files, he turned his phone around to show a logo of a slim crescent moon that seemed to be melting. "They're mostly instrumental, but they do songs as well." 

"Got anything we can listen to?" Octavia asked, she pulled her earbuds from her pockets, "We can use these to avoid the parental in the front." 

"No need, my lady, there are separate speaker systems. We can play the music here, I ask that you keep it down, however." Cackle said, plugging Demmy's phone into the aux jack. Octavia raised her eyebrows, she was impressed.

"Alright, little man." she saved her headphones, "Cool." 

Demmy played a few tracks and talked to Octavia about their favorite bands. They talked about FaQ Dad's last concert flopping and that it only flopped because of what their head-singer did right before the gates opened.

"You wouldn't think something like that would scare off about a million people, but it does," Octavia said. She was lying on her back, stretched out on the car seat like it was a bed. She looked over to Demmy, who was upside down, choosing another music playlist, this time by FaQ Dad called My World is Burning Down Around Me. 

"I mean, yeah. I know I wouldn't go if that happened!" Demmy sighed, "I doubt I'd get to go if it didn't happen." 

"Your old man?" Octavia asked, scrolling on her phone.

"Master Demmy and his father don't have a great connection," Cackle said, by the look on Demmy's face, he didn't want to talk about it. "They live, rather separate." 

"Sounds familiar." She scoffed and tucked her phone back into her pocket.

"It's always been this way." Cackle said, "Ever since Master Demmy could walk." 

"Why act like it's normal then? Why not speak up?" Octavia sat up, she could see Demaryous staring out the window, maybe holding tears back. "Hey, you, imp, can't you do something about this?"

"I am only a servant, my lady." Cackle admitted and put his hand on Demmy's, "I can only listen and stand by idly for the young master." 

Demmy opened his mouth to talk,  but the car stopped suddenly, sending Demmy forwards and Octavia into the wall behind her. His head slammed into the floor, and he winced. "Damn!"

Cackle helped his master up and checked his head for any wounds or damage. "Are you ok, Demaryous?"  he asked, just being sure.

"Yeah," Demmy said, touching where his head hit, "I guess we're here..."

Cackle rolled the window down and peaked outside, Astaroth and the other Goetia adults were stepping out of the car while other imps scurried to the door to open it. The door swung open, Cackle stepped out to help Octavia and Demaryous out of the car. 

They were at King Piamon's palace. It was hard not to know when your father talks about the King more than his snakes. It was beautiful and scary, the way its shadow overcast everything.

"Via," Stolas called, standing beside Astaroth. "Would you like to come along with us?" She looked back at Demmy and at Stolas. "I see you've made a friend! Isn't that your boy, Astaroth?"

"Yes," he said coldly. Astaroth motioned Demaryous to his side, the little peacock hurried to his father's side. "Demaryous, this is Stolas, one of King Piamon's son."