Chapter 12: The Weight Of Choice

We hurried across the docks and fought our way to the small shed that Mia and Zoe were being kept in. Ethan ran over to Mia, while I headed for Zoe.

"Mia!" He cried, as he cut the ropes holding her to a pole in the building. He tossed the knife to me, and I cut Zoe's ropes. "Zoe? Zoe, I-

"Not now! We need to make the serum! Do you have both ingredients?" She asked, as we both stood.

"Right here." Ethan responded, handing her the arm and the head we found in Lucas's office.

"He's coming...Daddy's coming!" Mia said, and my eyes widened a little. Jack?!

"Perfect." She said, then went to a small machine, where she was able to make the serum. After a minute or two, Zoe stood, holding two syringes in her hand. "I only had enough to make two, but that should be enough. There's a boat outside, but neither of us will get very far without the serum!" She said. Ethan took both syringes. "Hey, one of those is mine!" She said, but we were interrupted by the building suddenly shaking! We turned to the window, and I screamed. Mia grabbed me and pulled me away as Jack, now grotesquely mutated, grabbed Ethan!

"Zoe! Get your ass back to the house! I will deal with you later!" He yelled, throwing Ethan to the floor. I watched as Ethan tried to fight him off, and I quickly pinpointed his weakness.

"Ethan! His eyes! Get his eyes!" I cried. Ethan aimed for his eyes and soon took out everyone. However, Jack destroyed the building, taking us all down to the second floor!

"The serum! Use the serum on him!" Zoe yelled.

"You...you want me to cure him!?" Ethan asked, but he did what Zoe said. Once he did, Jack dropped him, and quickly crystalized. Zoe opened the door.

"Are you alright?" She asked. He nodded, following her out. I walked with him out to the boat, where Mia and Zoe waited.

"I had to use one of them. There's only one left." He said.

"Just one? There can't be just one left!" Mia said.

"The hell are we gonna do now?!" Zoe asked. It dawned on me what needed to happen. Ethan was going to have to choose between curing Mia or Zoe. I could see him agonizing over the decision. Mia was his wife and the whole reason he came here in the first place, but Zoe had been with us every step of the way and helped guide us here. I took ahold of Ethan's hand and squeezed his hand.

"Whatever you choose, I'm behind you, Dad." I said. He smiled and squeezed my hand.

"Thanks Sweetheart." He said. Then, he sighed...and injected Mia with the serum! Zoe gasped.

"It's fine...it was foolish thinking I could escape." She said. I felt so bad for Zoe!

"Zoe, come with us! There must be someone who can help!" Mia said, as Ethan helped me and her onto the boat.

"Go. All of you just go! This is my home. Apparently I belong here." She said. Ethan started the boat.

"I'll send help." He said, as we started off down the bayou.

"Don't bother! There won't be anyone left to help!" Zoe cried. We were all silent for a bit, before Mia spoke.

"Ethan? Thank you." She said.

"Who the hell else was I gonna choose?" Ethan responded.

"Ethan!" Mia said, probably agitated that Ethan had made the choice sound so easy.

"Mia, you have to tell me what happened." He said.

"I've told you all I can, but I can't remember anything else!" She said.

"Try." Ethan insisted. She looked away, and that's when Ethan and I saw the boat that Evie and I had been on!

"Is that the boat? What's it doing all the way out here?" Ethan asked. My eyes widened.

"Heaven help us...she's out here too..." I said. Suddenly, the boat hit something and stopped.

"What the hell was that?!" Ethan asked, reaching out a hand each to Mia and I to keep us from falling overboard. That's when I saw black mold begin creeping up and onto the boat!

"Evie, no! Don't!!" I screamed, but it was too late. A ton of mold came up and flipped the boat, sending Ethan, Mia, and I into the water...

When I came to, I was trapped in a column of Evie's mold! I tried to struggle and wiggle free, I even used my mold, but It didn't work. When I looked up, I jumped seeing Evie standing in front of me.

"Evie! Let me go!" I yelled. She growled at me.

"You...you destroyed my family! You said you would always be there for me! You LIED!" She yelled. I started to cry.

"Evie, please, I'm sorry! Let me go!" I cried.

"If I can't have my family, you can't have yours either." She snarled, as she walked away.

"No, Eveline, wait! WAIT!!!" I screamed, but she was already gone. I couldn't help it as I continued to cry. I just wanted this all to be over! "Someone...anyone...Mommy! Daddy! HELP ME!!!"