Chapter 3

You woke up with a headache, you rubbed your eyes against the sunlight reflecting off the snow. You didn't remember much from the night before, just that it felt awful when you stopped.

You held your head in your hands as you sat up. You looked around you, you were in a strange place, but the bed and pillows were softer than anything you felt before. You kept looking around, trying to catch your bearings, but you had no idea where you were.

Suddenly a door opened and out came the figure of Roan, wearing nothing but a towel around his waist. He looked shocked as you stared at him, "Sorry, I didn't think you would be awake for a few more hours."

You waved a hand at him, turning away so he could pull on his pants. You scooted to the end of the bed placing your elbows on your knees and your head in your hands. A few minutes later he walked around the bed, kneeling down in front of you. He still wasn't wearing a shirt and his rough hands rested on your knees. He handed you a cup of water, "this will help with the headache."

You nodded gratefully taking large sips, "now I know why I never wanted to go to the winter solstice parties," you chuckled weakly.

Roan smiled, "you can rest here as long as you want," he said standing up and walking to a chair where he discarded his shirt.

"I think, I'll sleep all day," you said with a laugh, falling back onto the soft bed.

"Not all day," Roan responded, "the Queen has a mission for us."

You rolled your eyes, "whenever the Queen has a mission for both of us, it never ends well."

Roan chuckled, "I suppose that's true," he said, pulling on his shirt. "Do you remember anything from last night?"

You collapsed backwards on the bed, letting your head rest on the soft pillows, "just that my head hurts because you stopped me."

Roan seemed to want to say something, but he shook his head, "keep drinking the water," he said pointing to the waterskin on the bedside table, "it will help."

You nodded and closed your eyes again, sleep taking you almost instantly. Roan smiled as he watched you sleep before leaving the room. He desperately wanted to tell you the secret he had been hiding, but he feared the sooner you knew, the sooner everyone else would find out.

—------------------------------

A few hours later, you awoke again, your headache nearly gone. You sat up and noticed that Roan was gone too, but he had placed your gear and some clothes on the floor across from the bed.

You smiled in appreciation as you stood up and pulled on your gear, strapping your sword at your side and your bow across your back. Finally you pulled on a heavy scarf that doubled as a hood.

The door swung open as you were quickly re-braiding your hair and Roan's figure stood in the doorway. "Oh good, you're already awake," he said, watching you closely, "how are you feeling?"

You finished braiding and tossed it over your shoulder, "better."

He nodded, "good, now come on, the Queen is waiting."

You quickly grabbed your dagger and placed in on your chest sheath before following Roan out the door, "far be it for me to keep the mighty Ice Queen waiting."

Roan laughed next to you as you fell into step with him, approaching the throne room. In no time at all, you were kneeling with Roan in front of Queen Nia.

"Rise," she commanded, her voice echoing in the halls. You and Roan both stood, taking a few steps closer.

"You have summoned us on a mission, mother," Roan said, "what must be done?"

Nia smiled wickedly, "The commander Lexa com Trikru has summoned all the clans for a meeting," she explained. "I want the both of you to meet the Azgeda ambassador."

"Isn't this the ambassador's job?" Roan asked, "why must we go there?"

Nia held a hand up to him to silence him, "it seems important and I trust you to report to me."

Roan nodded and turned to leave, you followed behind him until Nia interpreted again, "Andra, may I have a word in private?"

Roan turned to shoot you a look, but you had already turned away, addressing the queen, "of course, my Queen," she said with a respectful bow. "I will meet you outside at the stables to prepare our horses," you said to Roan with a smile.

You returned to the Queen's side as Roan reluctantly left the throne room. "You have grown strong in your abilities," Queen Nia said with a proud smile, "a worthy fighter indeed."

You nodded in thanks, "all because of Roan's teaching, he taught me from such a young age."

The Queen nodded, "I have a separate mission for you in Polis," she said, "one that if you shall succeed, will prove your worth within Azgeda."

You looked at her suspiciously, "why not tell Roan?"

Queen Nia laughed, "as you should know by now, my son is big on honor and integrity, traditions too."

You nodded in understanding, but feared her answer to your question, "what is it you would have me do?"

Nia smiled wickedly, "kill the Commander and take the throne for Azgeda."