Chapter 14

You returned to the room you were staying in, when you closed the door behind you, you saw Roan.  He was standing on the balcony overlooking the city. 

“Roan,” you whispered, approaching him.

He said nothing, only looking straight ahead.  You took a tentative step towards, trying to gauge his anger. “Roan, I’m sorry-”

He finally spoke, “Did I do this to you?”

“What?” you responded.

Roan still hadn’t looked to you, “did I lead to you to this choice? Did I put doubt in your head?”

You stood in front of him, forcing him to look at you, “no, Roan.  This was my choice.  I weighed the choice and I made it alone.”

Roan looked into your eyes, “Andra, I told you to remember who you were.”

“And I did,” you replied, “I remembered that you trained me to be loyal and smart.  I believe in Lexa’s leadership, I am loyal to my commander.”

“And to your Queen?” he asked. 

You sighed, feeling the weight of his disappointment, “I guess you already know the answer to that.”

“And to me?” he asked.

“I would never betray you Roan,” you replied, “at least not intentionally, I never meant for this choice to fall back on you.”

“No, you expected Lexa to kill you,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Actually I expected Lexa to let me live,” you responded, “I expected Nia to kill me.”

“She would have,” Roan responded.

“I know, thank you,” you whispered, hanging your head, “but I didn’t expect you to step in.”

He looked at you with hurt in his eyes, “did you think I would let you die?”

“I betrayed Azgeda,” you replied, “I didn’t think anyone would be able to stop Nia from killing me.  But you did, and now you are banished as well.”

“I don’t care about any of that,” he said, “but you were ready to die.”

“Roan, it was the price-”

“You don’t get it,” he said, staring into your soul, “I don’t care that you betrayed my mom, I don’t care that you sided with Lexa, I don’t care that we are banished.  I care that you were ready to die, that you had given up.”

“I didn’t give up, I was accepting what I did, I had integrity like you told me to,” you said.

“So I did do this to you?” he asked.

“You trained me, but the choice was mine, you didn’t have to bring yourself into it,” you replied.

“No you still don’t get it,” he said, grabbing your face in his hands, “you were ready to die, you were ready to leave me.  But I can’t live without you!”

You stared in shock as the weight of his words sunk in.  He wasn’t disappointed that you had betrayed Nia, he thought you didn’t care for him enough to live.

“Roan, I didn’t mean for you to-”

He cut you off by pulling you to his chest and wrapping you in a crushing embrace.  “I can’t live without you, Andra,” he whispered. 

You returned his embrace, “I can’t live without you either,” you whispered back.