Chapter 10

The next morning, you awoke to someone shaking your shoulder, "Wake up, Andra, the dawn is coming." You rolled over to see Roan, holding a glass of water and something in a small container.

"What's that?" you asked, sitting up and taking the cup from him.

He chuckled, opening the container, "paint."

You laughed, "I thought you weren't one for traditions?"

Roan sat down next to you, still holding the container, "well some believe that the paint can be used as protection, the markings can call upon past warriors or mentors to guide you in battle."

You looked at him seriously, your smile fading, "you don't think I can win."

Roan's face fell, "I hope you can, but you have never been challenged like this."

You placed both of your hands around his, "whatever my fate today, I will accept. But I want you to know how grateful I am for your training, for your friendship."

"Andra, don't," he whispered, looking you right in the eye, "it sounds like a goodbye."

You smiled, "it's not." Then you took the container of black and white paint from him and walked over to a small mirror.

Roan leaned back on the bed, watching you, "what will you do when she comes at you from below?"

You flashed him a smile over your shoulder, "Roan we have been over this a thousand times."

He chuckled, "then what's a few more?"

You laughed, turning back around to the mirror, you starting placing meticulous strokes of pain on your cheeks, "set aside and attack, all her power comes from high attacks, I should take advantage when she is off her game."

"Good," Roan nodded, "and how do you counter a high strike?"

"Block lower, draw all her momentum downwards, knocking her off balance and getting separation," you responded.

Roan nodded, "good, and finally, when do you attack?"

"When there is an opening, I never let her bait me into an offensive move, I wait for her to attack, and fight defensively," you responded.

Roan nodded as he stood up from the bed. "I have to go inform the Queen that you are ready, but I will meet you on the lower level before you enter the arena," he explained.

You nodded in understanding and watched him walk out the door. You looked in the mirror for a moment, staring at your own reflection. Roan was right, you have never battled someone as experienced as Lexa one on one. But the more important thing you had to ask yourself was if you truly wanted to defeat Lexa.

She was a gifted and compassionate leader, she cared for all, not just her clan. If you let her win, if you let her kill you, she would still be commander and Nia would have no claim to the throne; the coalition would remain. But could you do that to Roan, could you leave him to this world alone, he would blame himself for your death, could you let him. You had no idea what to do as you turned away from the mirror, finishing your face paint and tightening your sword to your hip. You made your way down to the lower level where you would have a quick final spare with Roan before meeting the commander on the field of battle.

—--------------------------------------

Roan was already waiting for you when you arrived, he smiled when he looked you up and down, his eyes settling on your war paint.

"You said the paint was to ask mentors and warriors for protection," you responded. He said nothing as he smiled. You had drawn the dark paint across your face to match Roan's brands, his markings now protected you.

You heard the first horn sound, indicating Lexa would emerge soon. You looked at Roan, "any last advice?"

He chuckled, although there was no humor behind it, "remember who you are, remember who I raised you to be."

You could tell that there was more Roan meant, you knew there were so many things he wanted to tell you. "Roan, I-" but you were cut off by the second horn sounding. You looked away, looking outside at the place you knew would either be the place you die, or the place you hand over the world to the Ice Queen.

You turned back to him, he said nothing, but gripped your head in both his hands, lowering his neck to place a gentle kiss on your forehead, "tell me when you win," he whispered.

You pulled away slightly, "will you be there?"

He nodded, "every step you take, I am with you."

The horn sounded again, it was time. "Remember who you are," he whispered into your ear before placing something in your hand and then he was gone.

You sighed and looked at your hands. In your grasp now was Roan's sword, he hardly parted with it, but he always joked that it brought him luck. You allowed yourself to smile as you started walking towards the arena in the center of Polis, it was still dark underneath the lower level where you were.

You strapped Roan's sword to your side, it felt balanced to have his sword sitting opposite your own. You stood at the edge of the shade, one more step and the bright sun would shine on you as you walked to the arena where Lexa waited for you.

You took a deep breath, centering yourself, letting your feelings guide you, letting Roan's guidance forge your path. You knew exactly what you had to do, now you just had to find the strength to do it.