Chapter 5

You rode in to Polis next to Roan, the streets were bustling. It was by far the largest grounder city and there were street vendors, ambassadors and people from every clan moving about the crowded streets.

Roan nodded his head towards the horse stables, where the Ice Nation ambassador stood waiting. You both dismounted, handing the reins of your horses to a stable boy, before falling into step with Jakobo, the ambassador.

"My prince," he bowed, "Andra."

You both nodded to Jakobo as he led you towards the tower in the center of Polis. "I've made arrangements for both of you to stay in the main tower with the other diplomats, and a seat will be yours at the meeting tomorrow morning."

Roan nodded, "thank you, any clue what this meeting is about?"

You listened as Roan and Jakobo spoke, but your eyes were wandering the crowds, assessing threats, spies, anything out of the ordinary. You clutched your sword tightly, ready for any attack. Although Azgeda was still a part of the Commander's coalition, you were taught never to trust the other clans, that they would betray anyone if it helped themselves.

"There are rumors," Jakobo explained, "Skaikru soldiers and leaders have been pouring into Polis for a few weeks now."

"Would the commander be stupid enough to align with Skaikru after the first attacks?" Roan asked.

Jakono shrugged, "I think she would be stupid not to, she knows that Azgeda is strong enough to take Polis, her coalition is the only reason we haven't."

Roan nodded in understanding, but stopped talking as Jakobo led you to a door in the front of the tower. "Be careful what you say Andra," Roan whispered as you walked through the door, "there are spies everywhere in this tower, and this city."

Jakobo led you to a modest room about halfway to the top of the tower. There was an adjoining room to the side where there was another bed and a fireplace. "I'll come and get you in the morning, take time to wash up, the Tower is heavily guarded," Jakobo explained, closing the door behind him.

Roan started taking off his gear, but you left yours on, slowly walking towards the balcony that overlooked the city. A few moments later, Roan appeared next to you, all his gear off, wearing only a comfortable pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt. He handed you a glass of water, "the Tower is guarded, you can rest," he said gesturing to your gear.

You shook your head, "you told me never to trust anyone but myself with my safety."

Roan chuckled, "yes, but-"

You turned to him, "I saw the spies outside, Roan, the streets are filled with them, we have too many enemies here. The other clans don't trust Azgeda and you know it."

Roan sighed, "it's true, the other clans fear our strength, but we are still a part of the Coalition, they would not dare attack us at the Commander's own home."

Your shoulders slumped and you walked away from the balcony, discarding your gear on the floor, "and how do we know this Commander does not want to banish us from the Coalition?"

Roan sat down on the edge of the bed, watching you, "I watched Lexa rise in the conclave, she became a warrior quickly, but she always had a sense of honor and loyalty, one that most other nightbloods did not have."

You nodded, pulling off the last of your gear and taking a seat across from him, "being raised in battle and blood will do that to a person."

Roan continued, "yes, but it didn't corrupt Lexa, I can't say that I trust her, but I do believe she still has that level of integrity."

You nodded in understanding, "then we trust, until there is a reason not to."

Roan nodded with a smile and you chatted with each other throughout the evening until darkness overtook the skies and you retired to bed. You drifted off to sleep, thinking only of the Commander, wanting to meet her, wanting to know if she was everything Roan said.