Chapter 8

You looked at Roan, who was standing behind his mother, but quickly looked back to the Queen, "there were guards, I had to change my plan," you said, trying to put on a calm face the way Roan had taught you.

Nia did not look convinced, "you were gone for some time to have changed your plan."

You shrugged, "I am gaining her trust," you explained, busying your hands so you didn't have to look Nia in the eye. You grabbed a rock and started sharpening your dagger, "if she trusts me, it will be easier to get her alone."

Nia thought for a moment, then laughed, "I like this idea, smart, calculated."

You nodded, "that's why you picked me, isn't it?"

Nia nodded and stood up, walking towards the door, "get ready for the general assembly, I have something special planned that you won't want to miss." She winked to you and Roan and walked out the door.

You let out a big breath and collapsed on the chair across from Roan. He laughed as he went to grab you a drink, "lying is hard isn't it, spy?"

You shook your head, "I don't want to be a spy anymore."

Roan nodded, "unfortunately, I don't think you have much of a choice."

You nodded to him in sadness, taking the glass he offered, "what does your mother have planned?" you asked, changing the subject.

Roan noticed, but didn't press the issue, "I don't know, but I don't think it's good. We'll be in the tower with the other leaders, Lexa will address us first and then address the people outside."

You nodded in understanding, but your eyes flicked to the fire burning, watching the flames absent-mindedly. Roan sat with you in silence, allowing you to get lost in your thoughts.

—---------------------------

A few hours later you gathered in the throne room with the heads of the other clans. Nia was sitting in the Azgeda seat, you, Roan and Jakobo behind her. Lexa sat on her throne, her armor and facepaint present again.

"It is no doubt you all know of Skaikru's entrance to the coalition by now," she stated, "I now this is a decision that angers many of you, but we are stronger together, we are all grounders now."

"This is ridiculous," the Podakru leader shouted, "SkaiKru is not one of us!" He was met with shouts of agreement within the ranks of the others clans.

Nia seemed to feed off of the energy and stood up, addressing Lexa and the crowd, "I agree, this is hardly the work of a true commander."

Lexa sat up straighter, "you dare challenge my leadership?"

Nia smiled wickedly, "I call for a vote of no confidence in the Commander!" Her words were met with cries of agreement from almost every clan.

You leaned to Roan, "what does that mean?"

Roan sighed, "it means that my mother is challenging Lexa to a duel, the winner will take power."

"I have never seen the Queen fight, is she good?" you asked.

Roan shook his head, "she doesn't have to be, she will name a champion to fight in her place."

"Will Lexa?"

"Probably not," he replied.

Lexa stood, her cloak billowing behind her, "so be it, the battle will begin in the morning."

Nia smiled, lifting her hands in the air in victory, but she turned to address the clans, "when Azgeda wins tomorrow, Skaikru will be banished from these lands and exiled from the coalition!"

The other clans shouted in support of the Queen. You had to admit one thing, she was good at rallying people to her side.

—-----------------------------------

Some time later, you were down at the base of the tower, sparring with Roan playfully. There was not much to do now but wait for the battle to take place in the morning.

"Keep your defense up," Roan instructed, "you're getting cocky."

You laughed, "I didn't think we were actually trying?"

"Well you had better start," a voice came from the shadows of the tower. Queen Nia emerged from the shadows, an evil knowing smile on her lips.

Roan dropped his sword to his side, "what do you need, mother, I am trying to teach."

Nia circled you both, eyeing you up, "well you had better hope you trained her well."

Roan looked nervous, "what are you talking about?"

Nia laughed, "now is the time to prove your worth," she said to you, "Andra is to be my champion."