Chapter 9

Roan's eyes opened wide as he heard his mother's words, "mother-"

But Nia cut him off, directing her attention to you, "Andra, you are my strongest warrior, never once spilling your own blood on the battlefield. Will you accept my demand and fight for Azgeda on the grandest stage, for the most coveted prize?"

You thought for a moment, although there really was not much choice, it was a command from your queen. You grasped Nia's outstretched arm, "it would be my honor."

Nia smiled wickedly, but also laced with pride, "excellent, make your preparations, the duel takes place tomorrow morning."

With that she left, leaving you and Roan alone. He looked at you in fury, but you could tell it was directed at his mother, not you. "This is insane, you cannot battle Lexa."

You let your sword hang at your side, "do you doubt my abilities, Roan?"

His eyes softened for a moment as he looked at you, "of course not, but Lexa is older, more experienced, she was doing battle before you were even born."

You nodded in understanding, "then you have less than a day to teach me about her weaknesses, and help me defeat her."

Roan still looked frustrated, but he nodded, raising his sword again, "she attacks from up high, but she always has a sign..."

—--------------------------------------------

ROAN'S POV

Roan had just dismissed Andra to get some food before they would continue training into the night. He raced through the floors of the tower until he knocked on the door of his mother.

Jakobo was the one that answered the door, "it is Prince Roan, my Queen," he said over his shoulder.

"Let him enter," her voice sounded from deeper in the room. As he entered, he saw Nia lounging comfortably in a chair, her hair down and a glass of wine in her hand. "Is Andra ready?" she asked.

Roan nodded, "of course she is, but you know why I am here."

Nia shrugged, "to try to convince me to let you take Andra's place."

Roan nodded, taking a seat across from her, "please mother, Andra is still young, she cannot hope to battle Lexa's experience alone, forget about her strength."

Nia shook her head, "you have been training Andra to be the best since she was a child, do you doubt your own training?"

Roan shook his head, "no, mother, I am only trying to protect her."

Nia laughed, "of course you are, I see right through all of this. You care for her, you always have, but tell me when it evolved into something else?"

Roan threw his hands up in frustration, "I can take her place, let me win you the throne."

"No," Nia said, taking another drink of her wine, "I have already named my champion, I will hear no more of this."

"Mother-" Roan protested.

"No-" she interrupted, "my decision is final. When Andra wins tomorrow, the throne will be mine and all will be set right."

"And if she does not?" Roan asked, "if Lexa defeats her?"

Nia shrugged, "I will have lost a good warrior, but warriors can always be replaced."

Roan opened his mouth to protest, the anger rising in his heart, but Nia held up her hand, not allowing him to speak, "Jakobo, please escort my son out."

Roan threw his hands up again, brushing past Jakobo and walking out of the room, slamming the door behind him. He tried, but now there was nothing to do to guarantee Andra's safety. He knows you are a gifted warrior, he knows that you are strong, but he also knows what you are. He sighed as he made his way back down to the ground level where he knew you would be waiting to continue. All he could do now was to prepare you as best he could and hope that you were able to overpower the commander.