Chapter 6

The next morning Jakobo knocked on your door, but you and Roan were already ready. You had pulled on a tight pair of pants, and a thick dark tank top, strapping your sword to your hip and a dagger to your chest. It was warmer in Polis, which made it unnecessary to wear so many layers.

Jakobo led you up an elevator to the very top of the tower, then through a long hallway, until it opened up to the throne room of the Commander. The throne was empty, but the other ambassadors had gathered in their seats. You followed directly behind Roan, where he took a seat in the Azgeda chair, you stood right behind him on the right and Jakobo on his left.

You took a few moments to look around, studying each member of the other clans as they gathered. You looked in the back corner of the room and noticed a man with strange clothes, "Skaikru is here after all," you leaned down to whisper to Roan.

He followed your gaze and nodded, "whatever my mother asked of you, I am asking you to hold off until we know exactly what's going on here." You nodded in understanding and stood back up, gazing around at the other clans again.

Finally, the flamekeeper strode into the room, followed closely by the commander. As she walked past everyone to her throne, you couldn't help but admire the way she walked with her head so high, the dark facial markings of trikru on her face, the way her hair glittered in the sunlight. She held so much power in the room, and she was beautiful.

Lexa spun her cloak around as she sat in her chair, awaiting the flamekeeper to speak. "Welcome, clans," the flamekeeper began, "to Polis."

He then bowed out, leaving a clear view of the room to Lexa. She glanced around the room, before speaking her voice commanding, "thank you for coming, as you all know, this coalition is stronger than ever, never before has there been peace among all the clans."

Her eyes landed on you for a moment, you were no one to her, but it still felt like her eyes lingered for longer than they should have. "Then Skaikru was a common enemy, and we had war once again," she explained, "but I plan to make our Coalition even stronger, by allowing Skaikru to become the 13th clan."

She was interrupted by shouts of disapproval from the other clans, even Jakobo shouted in disbelief. But Lexa held up her hand, and the shouts stopped, "Skaikru leader, Kane, are you prepared to swear loyalty to me and become a member of this coalition?"

The man in strange clothes stood up, falling to one knee, "we are prepared to serve you, Commander."

Roan motioned for you to lean towards him, "do you believe in their loyalty?"

You shrugged, "I never fought Skaikru, but what do they have that would make Lexa want to align with them?"

Roan smiled in pride, "exactly, they must have something that she wants, otherwise, she wouldn't risk the clan's disapproval of her plans."

You watched as Skaikru was sworn into the coalition and take a place among the circle of other clans. All eyes now fell to Lexa, "Skaikru has taken our oath and is now a member of this coalition, any act against them, is an act against me."

All of the other ambassadors bowed their heads in respect to the Commander, but their eyes gave away their true disapproval. Lexa said no more, meaning the ambassadors and clans people could speak freely and interact with one another.

To your surprise, Lexa walked right up to Roan as he stood from his seat, "I am surprised to see you here Ice Prince," she said in mockery, "have you lost faith in your ambassador?"

Jakobo eyed her suspiciously, but said nothing. "No, the Queen sent us to be a part of the conversation, she assumed it was important," Roan explained.

He towered over Lexa, but she did not look intimidated at all, she held out her hand for Roan which he took, but instead she roughly pulled him close, whispering in his ear, "do not think I have not heard the rumors that the Ice bitch wants to take my throne," she hissed, "I hope you have not come here with less than admirable intentions."

Roan grunted as Lexa let him go and he bowed his head slightly, "of course, heda."

Lexa nodded, but her eyes now fell on you, "and I do not think I have had the pleasure of meeting your second."

You nodded in respect, "heda."

Roan brought the attention back to him, "she is no longer my second, she has grown into a brave and capable warrior in her own right. This is Andra."

She smiled, "indeed, I have heard the stories of the ice warrior that does not bleed, you are feared throughout the forests." She offered you her hand, which you took, "welcome to Polis."

You smiled back at her, but said nothing. She pulled her hand back and turned back to Roan, "there will be a general assembly later to announce the addition of the 13th clan, get word to your people."

Roan nodded and watched as Lexa left, speaking to a few other clans before exiting the room completely. Then he turned to you and smiled, "making friends already, perhaps being an ambassador was your calling after all."

You rolled your eyes, following him out of the room, "you trained me to be a warrior, not a diplomat."

He nodded, "Lexa has taken a liking to you already, you would do well to befriend her, she would be a powerful ally."

You smiled, "is that an order, my prince?"

He chuckled, "stop it," he laughed, nudging you on the shoulder. You laughed until you had arrived back in your room, Jakobo on your heels.

Once the door was shut, Jakobo started pacing, "what are we going to do about Skaikru? We cannot allow them to join? Lexa knows, she is doing it so that she can march against Azgeda."

Roan held up his hand, "enough, there is nothing that can be done about Skaikru now. Send word to the Queen that there is to be a general assembly tonight and to march immediately to Polis."

Jakobo looked a little confused, "you didn't know?"

You eyed him suspiciously, "know what?"

Jakobo sighed, "the Queen is already on her way, with the entire army behind her."