Chapter 11

You took the step into uncertainty, letting the warm sun swirl around you.  You kept your head high as you walked towards the arena.  You could hear shouts supporting you, but also screams of “traitor” as you walked across the dirt.  You didn’t look at any of them, you just kept walking until you were in the center of the arena and Lexa stood opposite you. 

Lexa looked the same, her dark markings on her face shone in contrast to her olive skin.  You expected her to be angry, but she smiled when you locked eyes with her.  “I expected it would be you, Andra,” she shouted across the gap.  

You nodded, “I knew you wouldn’t name a champion in your place, heda.” 

She flashed a smile, “I fight my own battles, I have a feeling you do too.” 

“Today I fight for Azgeda,” you responded, “tomorrow, who knows.” 

Lexa chuckled as you finished, but then you both turned your attention to the Flamekeeper sitting on a raised pedestal with the other clan leaders. 

“We are gathered to witness the duel brought forth by Nia com Azgeda,” Titus stated, “Lexa, commander of the coalition, do you accept the challenge?” 

Lexa said nothing, instead she raised her fist high in the air, it was met by countless shouts from her supporters.  

Titus turned to you, “Andra com Azgeda, as chosen champion of Queen Nia, do you accept the challenge?” 

You nodded once, keeping your face as free from emotion as possible.  It was meant with shouts from Nia’s supporters, almost as loud as those cheering for Lexa.  

Titus raised his hands in the air, “in accordance with our custom, the duel shall be a fight to the death, whoever is left alive has an unconditional claim to the throne of the Commander and by extension, the coalition of 13 clans.” 

You and Lexa nodded, before turning to one another.  Lexa smiled, “I have been waiting for a challenge,” she shouted. 

You laughed wickedly, “it may be too much to handle.” 

Titus spread his arms again, shouting above all the noise of the square, “Begin!” 

You watched Lexa charge you, trying to make a quick start.  You watched her feet, waiting for her to shift her weight to jump as Roan had taught you.  She did, just as she was a few paces from where you stood.  You lowered yourself, blocking her attack low, causing her to lose her balance as you placed a boot to her stomach, flipping her over you and watching her figure hit the ground behind you.  

She stood up and brushed the dirt from her shirt, she looked impressed, but quickly regained her composure.  She rushed you again, swords clanging as you blocked swing after swing from Lexa.  You waited for your opening, analyzing a pattern she has as she sends attack after attack at you.  

You found one, she pauses before bringing her blade upward from a low stance.  You waited for it, on her pause, you rushed her, hitting you with a barrage of side attacks, which she blocked as she backed away from you in surprise.  

He clashed against her blade, leaning over her as she leaned backwards, staring her in the face.  “Impressive,” she laughed, “but foolish.” 

She pushed back upwards, causing you to lose your balance slightly allowing Lexa to stand up straight again.  She rushed you, placing swift and calculated blows to your sword as she pushed you backwards.  

You tried to counter her strikes, but she was coming too fast now, it was all you could do just to block the blows from colliding with you.  She picked up her attack even faster now, not giving you a moment to breathe.  Her blade slammed hard into the base of yours, causing you to lose your grip so she did not cut your fingers.  She reared back, aiming a powerful blow to your weapon.  You felt it fall from your grip as it sailed a few feet away, clanging in the dirt.

She smiled as she moved towards you with force now, thinking she had you beat.  Just on instinct, you spun out of the way of her blade, your knees spinning in the dirt.  In one fluid motion as you turned, you pulled Roan’s sword out of the sheath and raised it up to block your face, just as Lexa’s blade swung at you.  

There was a loud clang as metal scraped on metal.  The swords were locked together inches from your face.  There was a moment of silence as everyone tried to see what had happened, but you and Lexa only stared at each other unmoving as you contemplated how close to death you both were. 

—--------------------------------------

ROAN’S POV 

“Andra is toying with her,” Nia said to her son who stood next to her overlooking the battle. 

“Lexa is a formidable opponent,” Roan responded, “give her time to adjust.” 

“I want this over with,” Nia continued.

Roan grunted, “you knew this was not going to be easy.” 

Nia opened her mouth to speak, but stopped as Lexa swung hard at Andra.  Roan looked too, he winced as he watched Lexa knock your sword from your hands.  He watched intently as you expertly spun out of the way, pulling out his own sword to defend her.

“Perhaps your faith in your student is not misplaced,” Nia responded, her eyes contemplating what a great warrior you would be by her side.

—-----------------------------------

You still locked eyes with Lexa, both of you putting pressure on your locked swords.  “I don’t want to kill you Andra,” she whispered.  

You smiled, “you won’t.”  You used the momentary distraction to put your full force into the blade, pushing Lexa back and giving you space to roll in the dirt to where your sword lay.  Your fingers gripped the cold blade and you quickly stood up wielding your sword in one hand and Roan’s in the other.

“My turn,” you shouted at Lexa, your strength restored.  You waited for her to attack, but she never got the chance to get in a good blow.  You blocked her swipe, but came back with a swipe from your second sword.  You now had a great advantage that Lexa couldn’t quite counter.  

You sliced forward, lining a large cut to Lexa’s arm.  You heard her shout in pain as her black blood seeped from the wound.  But you didn’t stop, you charged her this time, slicing through the air like a hot knife through butter.  

Lexa had no time to react as you placed a swift kick to her side, knocking her to one knee in the dirt.  You placed another kick to her blade, watching it clang to the ground a few feet away, and then another directed at her stomach until she was laying in the dirt face up, her dark blood mixing with the sand. 

You stood over her, sword raised above her heart, but something inside you made you pause.  Lexa just stared at you, eyes open waiting to meet death.