Chapter 4

You had mounted your horse and left Azgeda with Roan, making the long trip to Polis. You sat in silence, thinking about the weight the Queen had placed on your shoulders.

Roan noticed your demeanor, "what did my mother speak to you about?"

You shook your head, "nothing."

Roan looked at you suspiciously, "I know you are lying to me."

You sighed, "she made me promise to keep it from you, to keep it from everyone. She is testing me, she said my separate mission was to prove my worth in Azgeda."

Roan sighed, "she's testing you to be a spy, or an assassin, isn't she?"

You nodded. "She does this whenever we have a skilled warrior rise in the ranks, they always disappear not long after," Roan said, raking a hand through his hair.

You flashed him a nervous smile, "I will be the exception," you assured him, "but I cannot ignore direct orders from my Queen."

Roan placed a hand on your arm, "I know, just be careful, and don't forget who you really are in the process."

You nodded, Roan knowing what little information he could, made you feel better, like he could still watch your back. Roan didn't push you for more information either, he let you ride in silence before striking casual conversations. Eventually he made you laugh, and the ride was carefree again.

After several hours, you both pulled off the main trail and started a fire, cooking up a bird that Roan had caught. You sat next to one another as you ate the roasted meat by the light of the dying embers.

"We should arrive in Polis tomorrow," Roan said, "by midlight."

You nodded, you had only been to Polis a few times when you were much younger, Roan had taken you to witness the conclave of the Commander, but had left before the final round. "I can't wait to see it through grown eyes," you responded, "and to have a place among the ambassadors."

Roan smiled at your excitement, he took a moment to admire how much you had grown up, you were not the little girl he took to watch the Conclave, and you were not the scared child that he found abandoned in the woods. He smiled as he admired how different you were, how fearless and strong you had become. "Come on," he said, laying down a rough blanket, "let's get some rest."

You nodded and laid next to him, a small space between you. You pulled your sword up to your chest, clutching it tightly in your sleep. As you drifted off you dreamed of the wonders of Polis before you, but also the dark and dangerous mission entrusted to you.