Chapter 7

When Jakobo had left, you turned to Roan in fear, "Roan, the Queen will be furious when she arrives."

Roan looked confused for a moment before realization hit him, "she told you to kill Lexa, didn't she?"

You nodded, "she's marching the army because she thinks I already took the throne, she looks to invade Polis."

"What is your plan?" He asked.

You shook your head, "I have a few hours before she will arrive, I am going to speak to Lexa."

Roan sighed, placing his hands on your shoulders, "are you sure about this? Because if you go through with it, I can't protect you."

You nodded, "it was a specific order, how can I ignore it?"

Roan pulled away, raking a hand through his hair, "just don't forget what I taught you."

You nodded to him, "I won't." The you disappeared out of the door and climbed the stairs to the top of the tower where the Commander's quarters would be. You had to think of some excuse to get close to Lexa, some reason why she would let her guard down, and only one thing came to mind as you stood in front of her door - the truth.

You knocked lightly and it immediately opened. Lexa stood before you, she was no longer wearing the dark facial markings of Trikru, and her armor was discarded on the floor. She looked confused when she realized it was you, "Andra, what's going on?"

You sighed, knowing there was only one thing to do now, "can I speak with you, privately?"

Lexa looked suspicious for a moment, but nodded, stepping aside to let you in the room and closing the door behind her. She gestured to a seating area before returning with two cups of water.

She handed you one as she sat down, "to what do I owe the pleasure of the Ice Warrior?"

She smiled at you, but you did not return it which caused her even more confusion. You shuffled your feet, attempting to appear nervous and indecisive. Lexa leaned forward placing a hand on your knee, "the Ice Queen is coming, isn't she?"

You looked up at her in surprise, "how did you-"

Lexa laughed, "I have spies everywhere, and rumors usually turn out to be true, especially in Polis." She leaned back, appearing rather comfortable, "the truth is I guessed Nia would come for the throne sooner rather than later, she is ambitious and I have what she wants."

"If you have known for a while, why haven't you done anything about it?" you asked, your curiosity peaked.

Lexa shrugged, "because she hasn't yet." When you did not respond, she continued, "I still have faith that she believes in the coalition, in my leadership, I could not punish her or her people for her ambitions, only her actions."

You shook your head, "I don't understand."

Lexa chuckled, "of course you wouldn't, you were raised in Azgeda where ambitions and strength were coveted and you were trained to kill anyone that tried to take it first. I was raised the same, only now I choose to forge my own path."

Your hands were gripped around a hidden dagger in your shirt, but now you let it go, hanging on Lexa's every word like it was a gospel. "In leadership, and when one gets older, you realize that you can either follow the traditions of your ancestors, or you can break away and do what you feel is right."

You continued to listen to Lexa as she confided in you the story of her past in the conclave, being forced to fight for her life, but turning it around when she won. "How did you know you wanted to be different?" you asked her.

She shrugged, "it was just a feeling, when I took the flame to become the commander, it was like a new start, I wanted to do something that was right for all of the clans, not just Trikru."

You nodded in understanding, trying to process the information all at once. Lexa smiled and stood up, "have I given you lots to think about, Andra?"

You nodded, "Roan taught me to fight, and how to act, he practically raised me, but he never taught me this. He never taught me that there could be peace for all, that there was something else besides fighting."

Lexa nodded in understanding, "because that is how he was raised." She paused for a few moment, looking at the setting sun outside the window. "General assembly is soon, you had better go back to your prince."

You thanked her for the water and lessons and walked out of the room, the concealed dagger weighing heavily on your skin.

You left Lexa's quarters feeling lighter, like you now had new lenses to view the entire world through. It was different for you, something had changed and you realized the Lexa was different, that she had a standard of loyalty and honor, like what Roan taught you. You were questioning the orders of the Queen, knowing she would never be as calm and guided a leader as Lexa was, but that didn't mean you planned to ignore her order, at least not yet. You need to come up with an excuse and a new plan quickly before the Queen arrived in Polis and realized the Commander was still alive.

You walked down the staircase returning to the room you shared with Roan, opening and closing the door lightly. When you turned around you were face to face with Nia, holding a drink in her hand, leaning on the chair in the center of the room. There was a wicked smile on her face, "is it done?"