Chapter 44

You continued to chug down the burning alcohol until your chest warmed like a fire in the middle of winter. It turned your stomach and numbed your tongue but you continued to drink anyway knowing that it would calm your nerves with time. You listened in carefully as Stolas mumbled on the phone in the other room explaining the information that he had regarding Mammon. Blitz sat across the table from you and continued to swig down some absinthe, then he'd pass it back to you, you'd drink, and so on. It became a comforting routine in an uncertain time of anxiety.

"I think this is already starting to go to my head," you commented as you closed your eyes and felt all of Hell begin to sway beneath your body.

"Already? Don't worry, your alcohol tolerance will get better the longer you're with me," Blitz winked as he took a few more gulps.

A numbness that stung began to tickle at the base of your neck. Then it spread to behind your earlobes. Then it slithered up the back of your skull until it warmed the crown of your head. Within seconds it stung at your eyebrows and swallowed your entire head. You closed your eyes tightly and exhaled as you tried to compose yourself, but the feeling continued to get stronger. You placed your hands on each of your ears and pressed firmly trying to dull the pain that was taking over your brain. You opened your eyes expecting to see Blitz but instead it was complete darkness.

You were back in that place you had been in before, the place with the robotic clown, the place where the voice had called to you. You felt an immense panic as you thrashed your head around looking for anything for your eyes to focus on, your pupils adjusting wildly with confusion. You set your hands down from your head and called into the air, "Blitz? Blitz? Where are you?" you called, but once again the only response that you received was an echo of your own voice.

-meanwhile-

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, Y/N?" Blitz called across the table. Your body went limp as it thumped forward against the surface of the dining room table. Blitz jumped across the table and landed beside you. He was quick to check your pulse, lift your head, and gently say your name as he shook you violently in hopes to wake you, but nothing.

"What's going on?" Stolas asked as he entered the room in a hurry. Without even receiving a response Stolas was beside your unconscious figure, checking on your status.

"I don't know, this is the same thing that happened the other night. What if she's having that weird dream thing again? What if it's Mammon?" Blitz panicked as he continued to shake you wildly and yell your name over and over. Stolas took a glance at the nearly empty bottle of absinthe and knelt down beside Blitz, placing his hand carefully on Blitz's back.

"Or possibly this could have been the cause of her...condition?," Stolas motioned toward the bottle that was set on its side against the table's surface.

"I mean...it could be? But I don't know...what if it wasn't? What if this is something more again?" Blitz held your limp head in his hands and stared at your resting face, worry overcame him as he continued to watch your breath, each breath a feeling of relief.

"Even if it is him there's nothing he can do to her within her own mind, she's safe there. She cannot be hurt," Stolas reassured Blitz.

"Oh yeah? How do you know?" Blitz snapped, teardrops slowly puddling in his eyes.

"Telepathy just doesn't work that way, Blitz. Trust me, she'll be okay," Stolas outreached his long arms and wrapped one under your thighs and one under your back. He glanced at Blitz to see if there was any sign of reluctancy, but there was none. So Stollas stood and brought your body up with him, holding you gently within his arms. Your limbs dangled loosely over his, your head swaying back and forth against his arm as he began walking toward the stairwell.