I

The cool California breeze blew through Sade's hair as she strutted down the sidewalk, her heels clicking against the concrete

The cool California breeze blew through Sade's hair as she strutted down the sidewalk, her heels clicking against the concrete. The sun beamed on her pretty brown skin adding to her already natural glow. Sade took in her surroundings stopping to smell and pick flowers, she was someone who loved the outdoors and felt a connection to nature. Opening the door to the library that she visited frequently the bell sounded off signifying someone had entered. "Hello Mrs. Ruby" Sade smiled greeting the grey haired lady that worked at the tea stand.

"Good morning baby, same for you today?"

Nodding Sade grabbed a donut that she had been eyeing but knew she didn't need it "Yes ma'am and Mrs. Ruby I haven't forgot about that sweet potato pie you promised now"

Mrs. Ruby laughed waving her off  "Chile come by the house this Saturday. Get you a fresh slice"

"Okay I'm going to be there early too!" Sade laughed as Mrs.Ruby went ahead starting the Hibiscus Tea that Sade never strayed away from. While she waited she let her hands dance across the books that rested on the shelf in front of her. Not finding one she liked she moved on to the next shelf and she continued this process until she settled on two.

"Sade!" The young girl who would call out the orders yelled gaining her attention.

Saying a simple "Thank you" she proceeded to the check out line, standing in the short line she sipped her tea as she read the first page of her book. The complete God & Goddesses of Ancient Egypt. As the line moved she heard the familiar bell jingle but didn't bother turning around to see who had walked in.

"Hey" she greeted "I'm just going to check out these two"

"Okay let me see. Do you have your ID card?"

Digging in her purse she pulled out her wallet sliding out the old chipped Library card handing it over. Watching the lady scan it she immediately noticed the frown that graced her face "I'm sorry ma'am it seems you have a hold on your account."

"A hold?" Sade questioned scrunching up her face "For what?"

"There's an unpaid balance of two hundred and thirty three dollars and fifty two cents for what seems like a history book"

Sade facepalmed herself knowing it was from a college class and she had no clue where that particular book could possibly be. "Well is there a way I can get on a payment plan? Pay something today and still check out these books?"

With a tight lipped smile the woman shook her head "Unfortunately no, the balance has to be paid in full"

"I don't have that type of money to just throw around" Sade said lowly hopping the woman would work with her.

Simply shrugging Sade could tell the lady wasn't interested in being a little understanding "I'm sorry these are the policies put in place"

Fighting the urge to roll her eyes she sighed adjusting the bag that was now falling off her shoulder "Can I put these on hold then?"